Brown ("Normal"?) catfish?

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
At my LFS they have a few small, really cute brown-colored cory cats. I'm not sure what type they are..... according to the tank info, they are either Panda (doubtful), or "normal" cory cats. Has anyone here ever seen Cory Cats that are mostly brown in color? No spots, no stripes, just a chocolate-brown with darker fins..... very cute, really active.

S.

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Butterfly said:
SunnShadow check at www.planetcatfish.com they have a wealth of info and pictures of Corydoras catfish and others. Let us know if you ID your little friend
Carol
Nope, nothing there. I went through every pic I could find, too!
These little guys (at my LFS) are little and chocolate-brown all over, except maybe white tips on their dorsal fins.. I know they're Cory's by their body shape. Would it be safe to buy them without knowing exactly what kind of Cory they are? Are all Cory's OK to put in with Betta's?

S.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
at one of my LFS they called them 'chocolate cories' idk if this helps at all and i really didn't pay that much attention to them just because well i didn't like the look of them if one sat on a plant i would think my plant is half dead now lol anyway hope that helps and i would assume that they eat the same things as pandas or albinos or any other cory good luck

Inari

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The only thing (so far as I know) about the differences between cory types is that they seem to prefer the company of corydoras that are their own type. Apart from that they should be fine with your betta if you have enough room. Ideally you need about 3 of them for them to feel safe and happy; they're schooling fish. Your betta might chase and scare them a bit, but they're not likely to actually get bitten or anything. After a while the betta will get used to them.

Btw just a small warning: my betta became very competitive for food once I had put in some corys and now he eats just about anything he even suspects is food. It might change his behavior a bit but not in a genuinely alarming way.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
At first glance, I thought maybe it was "Corydoras sp. cf. aeneus(black)".... but the ones I saw didn't have the reddish brown on their fins, and their noses were really short, like a panda cory.....
They were tiny, too. Not even as big as my thumbnail.

I guess I'll keep looking....... ???

S.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would say that all Cories are safe to put with your Bettas and as long as they are that tiny the chances of them getting too big are pretty slim. You could put a group of three in with your baby and be perfectly safe. He will be fine and they will be good little playmates for him.

Rose

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all your help, Rose. Maybe I will go back this weekend and see if they still have them. If not, maybe they will have some Panda Cories. I've heard so much about them.....

S.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
well if ur 'brown' cories are as active as my pandas ur betta will have plenty of entertainment as will u

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, they should be fine. Corys are great fish to have, you'll really enjoy whatever type you end up getting.

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well, the fish manager was in today, and I asked him about the "brown, normal corys." He told me that they can get up to three inches. So, rather than take the risk, I bought two Otos, as yet unnamed. Thanks for all the info, though!

S.

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You know what, it will probably make the other otos happy to have some more company. Enjoy them, they are nice little fish and if I didn't have my present cleanup crew I'd think about getting some.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom