75 Gallon Tank Brown knife fish not growing?

Flounderman553
So I have a brown ghost knife the long nosed one not to be confused with the average black ghost knife and I’ve had him in a 75 gallon South American peaceful cichlid tank for around 4-5 months now and while he acts normal, eats regularly, and isn’t picked on he seems to not be growing I was wondering if anyone had any info on how fast they are supposed to grow.

Advertisement
bcfishtanks
He may just have a birth defect will be perpetually small. One of my cory catfish that I raised from an egg is permanently the size of a 6 week old fish. As long as he's healthy, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

SparkyJones
Hard to say. you don't say how big he is now. they only grow to about 8-12" or so, about half the size of the BGK. they also have about half the lifespan of the BGK, 7 years or so.

I mean you get them usually somewhere between 2-4" they grow pretty quick to maybe 80% of maximum size and then slow down and take a couple years to put on that last 20%.

Stunting from environmental conditions or too small a tank for too long before you got em or just genetically small is a possibility also. Really depends on what size it is now. i you were expecting it to get as big as a BGK or CK, that's not gonna happen with the brown knife

Flounderman553
I had no idea that they where half the size of black ghosts makes sense though. Hes around I’d say 6-7 inches right now. I think his tank is big enough for now especially if he’s smaller than a black ghost he lives in a 75 gallon long with plenty of drift wood and tropic plants. But knowing that their supposed to be smaller than other knife fish is definitely more comforting so thanks for the info. I’ve only worked with two other species of knife now I think if it and those are the glass knife and ossa knife fish but i had a difficult time with keeping the glass knife and the ossa was much bigger than what I thought I had purchased as I bought it from an online dealer I think that’s where my worry came from withy current one.

SparkyJones
That Brown knife should only grow another inch or 4 tops, and could take a long time to get there. At 7" he's at that 80% size range of maturity and there should just be a slow size up from there now.

I'm surprised the brown knife isn't seen more in the hobby, it's always black or clowns commonly seen for sale and they turn into monsters. A 12" fish is manageable still, big but manageable. Those 24-30"ers.... just no idea why I see the juveniles so much at the stores when 99% of people don't have the tank for even one of them..

The larger knifes must be easier to breed or something.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
THRESHER
Replies
Views
hall
Replies
Views
zeddy
Replies
Views