Question Brown Hair Algae On Wood In Cycling Tank. What Is It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barmy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey all,

Setting up a new tank for the first time in a while (I've been out of the game for a couple years) and while my new tank is cycling there has been an explosion in growth of this brown, hairy-looking algae growing all over my driftwood. It is growing exclusively on the driftfood, not spreading to any of the rocks or substrate, and doesn't really look like anything in the pinned thread about identifying algae types. I comes off very easily if I scrape it, but its covered nearly every inch of the wood so that'll be a big job if I go down that road and there doesn't seem like much point if it will just come back.

I've attached some pictures. Any ideas?

I should also mention that, aside from turning the light on to snap these pictures, there's been no light on the tank at all. I'm also not dosing any ferts, and I'm doing a fishless cycle.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

BiggerIsBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yea I get that on leaves and such I add to my tank. I just rinsed it daily, but eventually tossed the leaves as it was a hassle for little payoff. Did you buy the wood or find it?

Barmy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Bought it from a local speciality aquarium.

katorimom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's not algae, but a typical bacterial or fungal growth that often starts on new wood a few days after adding it to a tank. Harmless and goes away on it's own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom