Brown Diatoms on Rotala Indica.

Stoner1993

Hello,

I have a planted 20 gallon hex that has been cycled for four months now. Early on i had a brown diatom issue that is typical for new tanks. The brown diatoms have since mostly died off. My hardscape and other plants, compact amazon sword and green tiger lotus, do not have any brown diatoms on them, see image. How ever the Rotala Indica. that i have in the background has brown diatoms on the lower leaves.

Is there a way to clean the leaves off? Possibly does liquid carbon? I have not gotten a silicate test kit yet so i do not know if my tap water has a lot of silicate. Also i am using top fin gravel which might leaching silicates. They Rotala also isnt in a high flow area so that could be contributing. Tank parameters below

PH: 7.4 -7.6
Temp: 78F
Ammonia: 0 pm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 20 ppm
Kh: 3
Gh:7

Light
Hygger 957: 12 hours dusk/dawn setting

Ferts
Easy green: .5 ml weekly
Flourish: .5 ml weekly

PXL_20210827_202923259.jpg

Mudminnow

For me, when I have those pesky bits of diatom algae like that, adding more light helps it go away. Take care though, as more light can cause other types of algae to grow.

Stoner1993

I have heard that as well. I will up my light intensity some more and see what happens in a week or so.

Thank you!

MasterPython

The bottom of rotala plants often look crappy because those are the oldest leaves that get the least light. If there are new shoots on the bottom cut the main stem off above that chop off most of them middle and replant the top somewhere.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Spudsssy
  • Question
Replies
Views
NevermindIgnoreMe
Replies
Views
americanninja
  • Question