Brown algea

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Demontay1, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Demontay1

Demontay1 Well Known Member Member

Any hints and tips too treat brown algea just notuced i have an algea bloom and ive never had too fight a briwn algea bloom before

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Have you recently set up your tank? It could be diatoms and they will go away. Just a a quick wipe and it's good.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

IME: Time, so that it exhausts it's food supply. However if it is being caused by high silicates or nitrates, then it may not be able to exhaust it on it's own.

4. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

5. OP
    OP
    Demontay1

Tanks not nee but i did add a s hool of tetras coukd tht havr caused it

6. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

My guess is that in a small enough tank or/and with a big enough school, sure it is possible it could throw something off for a while.

7. OP
    OP
    Demontay1

Well ive performed a water change and removed my driftwood tht had the algea growing on it and scrubbed the glass and ricks so its almost all gone now and my fish seem 10x more active

8. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Diatoms is known as "new tank syndrome". They appear in setups under a year old. They eventually go away when their food source is used up which is Silicates. It can test your patience.

Phosphates do not cause Diatoms. PhosGuard removes phosphates AND silicates.

PhosGuard isnt something that should be used in a planted tank as phosphates are a macronutrient for plants.

9. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Is there something that gets rid of silicates without touching the phosphates? I think most people's problem is the excess silicates, not so much the phosphates.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

10. f2002

f2002 Valued Member Member

When I started using Purigen my algae went away in like 2-3 days. I still see a little bit here and there, but nothing like it was before. Purigen is only $10 so worth trying before you do anything drastic (like buying some fish specifically to eat algae).

For the long term, it also makes sense to grow some fast growing plants in your tank to soak up the nutrients that's feeding the algae.

11. OP
    OP
    Demontay1

Before i can add plants i have too make sure my babies survive they went through a heck of a shock today with my nephews throwing almost a full toy box in the tank and half my cats catnip toys

12. f2002

f2002 Valued Member Member

Yikes! I think I would have an aneurysm if someone threw a box of toys into my aquarium. Your tank looks beautiful though.

13. OP
    OP
    Demontay1

Thnxs haha i almost did i chainsmoked through half a packet of ciggys and over cleaned siphoned sand and seived too make sure their was no food residue my fish are hapoy again and colours back out just hope the shock doesnt kill them dyring the day

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice