Brown Algea Issue

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Nierums, Apr 20, 2019.

1. NierumsValued MemberMember

Hey All,
    I have had my tank about 2 months, 20 gallon, just finished its cycle, planted with Ludwegia, Bacopa, Java fern, java moss, Anubias, Creeping Jenny, Anacharis, water Sprite and 2 small swords. I have 4 fish currently.

I am doing weekly 3 to 5 gallon WC, and now have brown algea taking over all of my rocks, the glass, and I'm noticing it on some of my plants as well.

I am dosing with Aquarium Co op Easy Green 2 squirts per week as directed (although I do one on Monday and one on Thursday instead of both at the same time). I have my light on a timer (Fluval Aquasky) set for 10 hours a day.

Any suggestions on how to combat this? I know you can wait it out, however since I'm dosing for my plants, I don't believe that will work.

If anyone has worked through this with a planted tank before I'd greatly appreciate it!

Attached Files:

2. FahnFishlore VIPMember

3. NierumsValued MemberMember

Excellent! Thanks for the feedback!

4. Carpi09Valued MemberMember

I have nerite snails and SAEs. If the tank allows, use oto catfish. You will be flying.

Ive done research on this too, your phosphates must be low.

5. The_fishyValued MemberMember

I would like to add that I have found dwarf shrimp and amano shrimp will eat that stuff as well, just not usually what is on the glass

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  6. RehananValued MemberMember

I was just about to post a thread like this, lucky I saw yours! My brown algae seems to grow within hours. Mostly on the back wall of my tank and all over my rocks and ornaments. Seems to be nerite snails are the way to go!

Hm, what does this mean in relation to the phosphates? Should something be done?

7. NierumsValued MemberMember

Thank you! I am looking into getting some shrimp, but I needed my tank to stabilize before I could, I literally just finished my cycle on Thursday so I want to make sure it's alright for them before buying. That was the reason I got Java moss so they have somewhere to hide if they need. Thanks for the reply!

8. FahnFishlore VIPMember

If you want the best possible survival rate, give it another month. Makes a world of difference to let the tank stabilize and mature.

9. NierumsValued MemberMember

Yeah, mine is spreading quick, on all of my rocks, and especially where my substrate meets the glass, but now it's all over my water Sprite and anacharis as well as my filter intake and heater. I had 2 otos but they passed because my nitrates got too high and I was SO sick with the flu I wasn't able to change my water for 2 days, I feel just awful. They did a good job, but now I want to wait to make sure things even out before I get more. Thanks for the reply!

OK excellent, will do, I appreciate the information!

Thanks you for letting me know, is there something that can be done about the phosphate levels? I know they sell a test that I can check it, but what can be done to help that? With that said, Easy Green does contain phosphate but it only says .46% so I don't know if that would make any sort of difference.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2019
  10. jmaldoWell Known MemberMember

Agree with @Fahn
    Also, prior to water change wipe the glass along with brushing off any of the diatoms you can from the hardware/deco.
    Just started a Planted "Discus" tank. And now have the dreaded diatoms, it happened before and by following the advice you have gotten, they will eventually go away. Nerites will help, but you might get "snaildazzled" like this:

[​IMG]
    See all the white spots those are eggs.

Good Luck

11. NierumsValued MemberMember

Haha oh my! That is something else! You're going to have a bit of a breakout here shortly aren't you?! Haha.

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but how do you scrub off the plants? Just like rub it lightly?

Thanks for the input, it's appreciated!

12. jmaldoWell Known MemberMember

That was awhile ago, luckily the Nerite eggs only hatch in brackish water. Whew!
    Yes, in fact I just rub the leaves between my fingers most if not all comes off. Did it today.

13. NierumsValued MemberMember

Awesome! Thank you so much!

14. Carpi09Valued MemberMember

Here is my thread, tank not even a month old.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...72x30x24-diary-log.395484/page-3#post-4114757

Sorry i got confused with green spot algae.

Lower your dosing, your tank doesnt need it for the first month, your plants should be fine.

Soon as you start seeing signs of green spot algae start dosing.

I use ei dosing.

15. Ankur's fishesNew MemberMember

Lower the nutrition and increas lighting

The eggs look unfertilized

16. NierumsValued MemberMember

Beautiful tank! Thank you for sharing and thanks for the information :)

Thank you for the information!