Brown algae?

  • Thread starter

Asialyn

Valued Member
Messages
438
Reaction score
3
Points
103
Experience
1 year
My friends tank has a brown residue building up over the decor and the substrate. Is this algae? Will it go away on its own or should he get some kind of algae eater, like a snail or something? Its a 20gallon with only 2 tiger barbs since the others died awhile ago. Hes going to get a few more tiger barbs so theyll be happier but I could also suggest some sort of algae eater if that's what it needs.
 

Elodea

Well Known Member
Messages
2,413
Reaction score
51
Points
143
Experience
4 years
Those are diatoms, not a true algae, yet most people treat it like one. It is a sign of insufficient lighting, however, it will go away on its own. If you want to employ algae control methods, I suggest freshwater nerite snails (Neritina natalensis or Clithona corona).
 
  • Thread starter

Asialyn

Valued Member
Messages
438
Reaction score
3
Points
103
Experience
1 year
When you say insufficient lighting, is that too much light or not enough?
 

Elodea

Well Known Member
Messages
2,413
Reaction score
51
Points
143
Experience
4 years
Not enough.
 
  • Thread starter

Asialyn

Valued Member
Messages
438
Reaction score
3
Points
103
Experience
1 year
ok thanks a lot! Ill let him know
 

Fishtanker

Valued Member
Messages
113
Reaction score
0
Points
101
Experience
Just started
Actually I am having the same problem, I have thus light in the hood which I switch it off during the night.
How do u get rid of it? Can I use the no algae tablets? Mine is a 10 gallon.

Thanks
 

CichlidsYay

Valued Member
Messages
358
Reaction score
0
Points
101
Experience
2 years
I don't think its due to lack of lighting.. I have the same problem and I leave the light on for 5+ hours a day.
 

Fishtanker

Valued Member
Messages
113
Reaction score
0
Points
101
Experience
Just started
So how to get rid of it?
 

CichlidsYay

Valued Member
Messages
358
Reaction score
0
Points
101
Experience
2 years
Fishtanker said:
So how to get rid of it?
Well for my situation, its easy.

Wipe the glass. LOL


Or.. you could limit the amount of light you leave on..


EDIT: DO NOT USE THE TABLETS. Better to find the source of the problem then to dose your tank..
 

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Messages
39,061
Reaction score
337
Points
458
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have moved this thread to the Aquarium Water/Algae section of the forum.

Brown Algae or Diatoms is very common in new aquariums up to one year or so. It's pretty much a fact of life for fish keeping. It should eventually go away on its own once it has run its course.

To get rid of it simply use your algae scrubber for the glass. Rinse your ornaments (tank water would be best to use here), the gravel will stir as you vacuum and rid some of it. Don't be surprised if it returns.

It may not be too pretty to view but it will go away and it isn't harmful to your tank or fish.

Ken
 

Daac

Well Known Member
Messages
1,908
Reaction score
13
Points
133
Experience
2 years
I have Ottos and they devour diatoms... I have only had 3 of them in my 5.5 gallon tank for one day and they ate all of it and I had quite a bit.
 

Elodea

Well Known Member
Messages
2,413
Reaction score
51
Points
143
Experience
4 years
Nerite snails are great for this job. Otherwise, they will go away on their own.
 
  • Thread starter

Asialyn

Valued Member
Messages
438
Reaction score
3
Points
103
Experience
1 year
it did in fact go away on its own. thanks for the advice everyone
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom