Brown Algae Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by kasra, Aug 13, 2019.

1. kasra

kasraValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +30
    Hi
    I’m facing a brown algae issue in my 5 g betta tank
    As it has light and low flow it’s getting more and more and although I’m vacuuming and removing algae evey week
    It’s staining my anubias and roots of my water lettuce are getting bad and falling off
    Is there any suggestions i can do for my only betta without harming him

My 2 other tanks have no issue with anubias and algae at all
    I have corydoras and molly and guppies to take care of algae
    But for the betta im stuck
    Thank you IMG_5398.JPGIMG_5397.JPGIMG_5396.JPG

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,048
    Experience:
    2 years
  3. OP
    OP
    kasra

kasraValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +30
    I’m afraid of snails as pest snail infested my other two tanks
    Is it safe as low breed and escape?

4. kallililly1973

Ratings:
    +3,048
    Experience:
    2 years
    Nerite snails will not breed in your freshwater tank. If you get a female they may lay eggs that look like white dots on every surface but they require brackish water to hatch.

5. CrazyCatChick

CrazyCatChickNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    I have the same issue in my 10 gallon. The tank is lightly planted but with a lot of riparian growth so there shouldn't be excess nutrients in the water. I decreased the amount of time the light is on each day which helped a bit. I also got a Mystery Snail which did help some (although not as much as a Nerite would but I didn't really want the white eggs). Any help would be greatly appreciated! Brown algae is so annoying!

6. kallililly1973

Ratings:
    +3,048
    Experience:
    2 years
    If your tank is fairly new and the algae on the surfaces of your plants and decorations it is diatoms and it happens in most all new tanks. It will go away on its own but IMO its fun to have a nerite so you can have em and feed em and keep your tank looking nice :)

7. CrazyCatChick

Ratings:
    +5
    The tank's history is a bit complicated. It's both old and new. I have had it for YEARS but experienced a big die-off of my tetras a few years ago. I had added some new tetras to replace a few that had died... Unfortunately, either I added too many and experienced an ammonia spike or they had a disease... After the die-off the tank went into a holding pattern... until I started watching aquascaping videos on youtube.

And the next thing I knew I was buying live plants and rescaping my tank. I saved the water, filter, and filter media to make sure the nitrogen cycle would be ok. I may have experienced a mini-cycle since the water was cloudy for a few days, but the fish were A-ok and have much better color than before I added the live plants. It's been maybe a month since adding the live plants and all are growing well. I love watching the mystery snail so I'm probably going to get a nerite at some point too! I'm also planning a mostly invertebrate tank with a 30 gal aquarium I got for cheap so I'll be buying more snails for it as well.

8. aae0130

aae0130Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +446
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yeah nerite snails are definitely cool. I had one that lived almost 8 years and I don’t know how old it was when I got it. It kept a 46 gallon bowfront spotless. I rarely needed to clean the glass. He even kept the gravel surface clean. Do it......Once the tank is clean it will eat all the slime on the surfaces before it turns to growth, therefore maintaining the tank for you. Give it an occasional wafer and it will live a long healthy life.

9. OP
    OP
    kasra

kasraValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks everyone just more questions:

Does betta attak nerite?
    Are all nerites same?
    Do nerite escape?
    Do nerite eat my floating lettuce?
    I have eating issues in my other tanks infested with pest snail they cleard all of my floating plants

I may buy one nerite this evening so please help

I also took out the sponge i had on my filter outlet for more flow and am adding a sponge air filter for better oxygen

Do you think the stain on plants would ho away or it requires to have new leaves and these would stay like this forever

And what about ghosts shrimp instead of nerite?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2019
  10. CrazyCatChick

Ratings:
    +5
    I cannot answer all of your questions since I haven’t actually had a nerite (but I really want one now). All Nerites do not look the same. Some have horns on their shells, zebra stripes, black, and red. I’m pretty sure they all have the same algae eating potential but just in different shell colors. It is possible for some snails to be injured by being stuck in the filter intake. I have not experienced this with my filter but it is something to be aware of if there isn’t a sponge pre-filter.

If you are really into snails (or don’t want to bother with lettuce/spinach/zucchini) you can also make snail jello to feed them. There are lots of recipes online. I use it to help my mystery snail to get enough calcium for healthy shell growth since I have soft, acidic water. I’m not sure if nerites like it or not but my mystery snail loves it!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2019
  11. WTFish?

WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3,036
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hi there, nerites are great cleaning g machines and fun to watch. I’ll try to answer your questions...
    *Some bettas are fine with snails, other are not, really depends on your fish.
    *they come in different patterns but all the same
    *get a lid, some do want out but shouldn’t if your parameters are ok
    *nerites will not harm your plants (at least mine doesn’t) very possible IF the plant starts to die or rot though.
    *I’d keep a sponge over the intake, I had a mystery snail damaged by the suction.
    *not sure what you mean about leaves...I’d cut away any dying leaves to reproduce new growth.
    I know nothing about ghost shrimp.
    Hope this helped a bit.

My mysteries would occasionally eat snello and veggies but my nerite will not eat anything but algae and biofilm.
    Also I had to say I choked on my soda when I thought your username said Crazy FAT Chick. Lol CAT! CAT! :)

12. CrazyCatChick

Ratings:
    +5
    Haha - my great loves are fish, cats, and ice cream! Let’s hope this isn’t a prediction of my future!

I have heard the shrimp will eat the bio film so they may help with the algae. A pet store near me sells them for 10 cents a shrimp so it may be worth a try at that cost. Although the beta may think they are a snack!

13. OP
    OP
    kasra

kasraValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +30
    Yeahhhh i love those 3 toooo

As ghost shrimp I’m afraid to stress my betta as he is so active
    I also want him not to get depressed and have something to keep him smart

Thanks for the complete reply

So I’ll go ahead and try it
    My 5 g betta tank has a separator so i have a sponge on intake
    But it was like a shoot for outlet and i had it coverd so less water movement made it that bad
    So i took it off and will add an air sponge filter to have oxygen in tank more
    As for leaves please see the photos
    These leaves ,would they fie or be back to green I’m not sure if that stain would be there till the leave dies and new grow would replace it

IMG_5407.JPGIMG_5408.JPGIMG_5412.JPG

Note that leaves that were behind other leaves are fine
    See the lettuce roots that are not doing fine any more
    They were very nice last week

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2019
  14. CrazyCatChick

Ratings:
    +5
    I have similar stains on the leaves of my Anubis. I can carefully rub most of it off with my fingers although some is still there. It also grows back over time.

15. OP
    OP
    kasra

kasraValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +30
    IMG_5420.JPG

I took everything off and rubbed them in old tank water
    Hooked them to zip tie ( I didn’t have small nice black ones)
    And now it looks better
    However I’ve lost some of big healthy roots of lettuce
    Anyway still thinking of adding one nerite

16. WTFish?

WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3,036
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Looks fantastic!! Love the zip tie idea too!