Brown Algae

1. Nicole B

Nicole B Valued Member Member

We are starting to get brown algae everywhere. All over our plants and growing on the heater and filter and a little bit on the rocks and the tank.

What causes this and how to get rid of it?

2. Rojer Ramjet

Rojer Ramjet Well Known Member Member

It is caused by combining nutrient (fish poop and uneaten food), light, and a growth medium, water.

Removal is best done with a magic eraser and elbow grease.

Welcome to fish keeping! Enjoy!

3. LindseyAquamarine

LindseyAquamarine New Member Member

I've found that a sponge brush on the tank glass & ornaments as well as a gravel vacuum help to keep brown algae at bay. It's grown up in my 10 gal tank a few times. Usually a good cleaning, fresh filter, and 25% water replace (with water conditioner & bacteria starter) work to clear it out for a while!

4. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

My 2 zebra snails cleaned everything in under a week and i have never scraped it again!

5. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

Weird! I have 4 zebra snails and their not doing a good job! Lol

Ours is a 10 gallon too! Our plants are fake and that’s where it’s growing the most. Do you take them out and clean them or do it in the tank?

6. Travis Bradbury

Travis Bradbury Valued Member Member

get nerite snails, 4 of them cleaned all my brown algae in like a week in my 75 gallon.

7. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

I have them /:

8. LindseyAquamarine

I have real plants in mine, which seems to really help the water levels, and I'd recommend getting real ones if you can! I mainly got them because I was too lazy to clean fake ones ;) I think it would probably be best for your tank to clean the fake plants in the tank. If you can't clean in the tank without startling your fish too much, maybe scoop some tank water into a bowl and clean them out of the tank that way?

9. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

crazy! Maybe send a photo of the algae, it might not be the right algae that the snails eat.

10. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

Will send one on my lunch break!

11. FriarThomasIII

FriarThomasIII Well Known Member Member

I'd get a some live plants and let them establish themselves. This will lower the algea levels, or you could get a few amano shrimps, as they eat pretty much every kind of algea. (even the hair algea fish don't usually eat.)

Also forgot to mention, you could also do a blackout for a couple of days to kill it off.

12. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

More pics

Attached Files:

13. FriarThomasIII

Plants, amano shrimp and otocinclus algea eaters are wonderful for algea problems.

14. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

Would those be ok with mollies and in a 10 gallon?

15. Travis Bradbury

Travis Bradbury Valued Member Member

Just seen the pictures you posted, its next to nothing compared to what I had.. my tank looks like a big poo because of all the brown on the glass, rocks, fake plants etc.
    Give the snails time if theres brown algae on those surfaces, but dont expect them to reach tops of plants like you show in your picture. With them just wipe off with your hands. Eventually all the brown will go away its self, brown algae isnt uncommon, people typically get it once in their tanks life.

16. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Mollies are not fit for a 10 gallon.

That’s why the algae is growing like it.

There is too much ammonia production.
    Mollies are a huge pooper and can grow to around 5 inches so they really aren’t a good candidate for a 10 gallon.

17. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

We know that.

18. FriarThomasIII

To answer the first question, amanos are really large for shrimps. They 2 inches long and fast and darty when disturbed. Honestly though, you should rehome them and get something else, like maybe guppies? Or some sort of tetra? And endler guppies pick at algea and eat it, so that might help.

19. LindseyAquamarine

Otocinclus are decently fragile fish, though, from what I've read. I had one that died after only a few days, and I think it was just from the stress of moving into a new tank.

20. FriarThomasIII

When we got our otocinclus, we drip acclimated them for about an hour and turned off the lights when we put them in to minimize stress.