Brown Algae

seagullnz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know how to get rid of brown algae?
I have it on my plants and some on the glass walls?

What causes it?

Thanks

Also, is it harmful to Betta Boy or the plants?

pinkfloydpuffer

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
There's gonna be algae in any tank. Try to keep your nitrates and phosphates low (change water and don't overfeed)
It's not harmful to fish. But if those are live plants, then they can be choked by the algae.
Depending on the size of your aquarium, you can get something to clean it up or you may just have to scrape it off yourself.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The brown algae is just diatoms and it's not harmful really. I usually wipe it away with a paper towel. We have red cherry shrimp that work as a cleaning crew for that and other algae that pops up.

Phinny12

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
you can use an alge removing chemical...clean it off first then use the stuff with each water change and you will have no algae. I use the aquarium wipes every time I water change and wipe off the inside glass and that deters algae growing back on the glass.

welshalien

Valued Member
Reaction score
you can use an alge removing chemical...clean it off first then use the stuff with each water change and you will have no algae. I use the aquarium wipes every time I water change and wipe off the inside glass and that deters algae growing back on the glass.
just make sure to read the package first -- some of the algae chemicals are no good if you have inverts in the tank.

Kelly

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I HIGHLY recommend against using algae removing chemicals. It's extra chemicals on the fish and we had 2 tanks of fish almost die from using that before we came to Fishlore. A 100% water change and change of everything in the tanks was the drastic measure that saved the fish, including our first Betta.

MousePotato

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have that stuff all over my 30 gallon tank. It's supposed to clear up after the tank has been established for a while, but it never did. I just scrape it off with the floating magnet cleaner and let the filter pick it up. It actually looks kind of interesting on the decorations and the fish don't mind it.

Fishies-for-me

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mine comes and goes in my tanks...if your tank is a new one that is one reason you may have it....good luck.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom