Brown Algae Question

1. tosh.krl Initiate Member

Got ride of green tank water finally and now I have this brown stuff stuck on the ground, how do I get rid of this stuff
    [​IMG]

2. Brandon_the_fish_guy Initiate Member

It most likely is a unicelluar bacteria called diotoms and it eat silicates if you are not adding more via tap water or new substrate it will run out of food and die also how long are your lights on and how new is your tank

3. Brandon_the_fish_guy Initiate Member

Lights should not be kepted on for more than 7 hours a
    day

4. jakefoster Member Member

actually increasing the lighting helps to remove diatoms. (brown algae) ...decreasing lighting is what u do if u hav green algae.

5. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Diatoms usually go away on their own. Nerite snails will also eat them if you want to get those.

6. smee82 Well Known Member Member

As anders said they normally ho away on their own and are completely normally in a new tank.

7. TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

More current, more lightung and more time ate the vedt eays to minimize it.

8. jakefoster Member Member

i've just finished battling it myself, i moved house and used new sand when i set the tank back up, i think the silica content in the sand caused it. i increased lighting and took all my hardscape out and blasted it off with the hose. hasnt come back since returning items to the tank.

9. JoJe Member Member

Aren't diatoms a protist? They are specifically eukaryotic. I don't mean to be overly pedantic, but calling something a bacterium does suggest antibiotic like treatments on the water would work when in reality it would only threaten the bio filter.

10. BioBro2008 Initiate Member

Wow that was really helpful thanks y'all!

11. Brandon_the_fish_guy Initiate Member

Sorry in saltwater diotoms are photosynthetic as well as eating silicates I guess I haven't had to deal with fresh water diotoms in so long I didn't know

12. tosh.krl Initiate Member

Thank you that was very helpful. Sorry was on vacation. But I kept the lights off all 5 days and the algae seems to have diminished. Lights were on a 12/12 cycle I’ll change it to 7 hours on tonight.