brown algae???

joules

Reaction score
???What caused brown algae? I seem to have it appearing in my tank......

Jai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Too much light duration will cause your tank to produce algae...I had the same problem, wanna know what I did put a real plant near an area with too much algae and guess it all dissappeared, another factor that may cause you to have algae is the position of your tank, if it is close to a window that will be another reason!

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Although some algae will grow in a tank no matter what...
You can buy an algae scraper to get it off.

joules

Reaction score
is there something you can do to clear this up? what is the difference between the green and brown algea?

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They are just a different type of algae. Brown algae tends to be more annoying because I'm pretty sure no fish will eat it. Just buy an algae scrubber/scraper/pad, whatever they happen to call it, and scrub it off. Don't use chemicals to kill algae...they are harmful to fish and a lot of the time don't work.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The "brown algae" is pretty normal for a tank that is only a few months old.  They are called diatoms, and usually disappear on their own after a month or 2.  You can speed up the process by exposing the tank to more light.  Otocinclus love the brown stuff and can clean your tank sometimes within 24 hours.  

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh I lied, I was thinking of something else...forget what I said about no fish eating it, Otos LOVE it and I'm sure any other algae eaters would eat it too.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom