Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Brown Algae Starting 75 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Huskersfan75, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Huskersfan75New MemberMember

I have had my 75 gallon tank set up for about 2 months. I have 2 marineland emperor 400 filters on it. I did a fishless cycle to set the aquarium up. Currently have 4 guppies, 6 neon tetra, 5 glofish tetras, 1 neon blue dwarf guorami, and 6 zebra danios. I have been doing regular water changes and just noticed that there is brown algae over the bottom rock, fake plants, and decorations. It has popped up in the last couple days. It might be diatoms also. I have a LED light that has been on for about 12 hours a day. Water has been tested and ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrates 20. ph is 8.2. Any suggestions on how to get rid of the brown algae? Do bottom feeders or shrimp help? Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. A201Well Known MemberMember

There is really nothing you can do other than wipe off the decor. The ugly brown Diatom algae will eventually get overtaken by the better looking green algae. Virtually all new setups start out with diatom.

3. Huskersfan75New MemberMember

Any suggestions on algae eaters or shrimp to help with the brown algae?

4. IboughtmykidfishWell Known MemberMember

Nerite snails are the best. They won't produce in freshwater, either.

5. Huskersfan75New MemberMember

Will my dwarf gourami eat the snails? Wondering since I have read that they do. Just want to double check. Thanks!

6. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

Your Dwarf Gourami probably wouldn't eat a snail that big but it might chew off tentacles harass it and possibly damage it. In addition, Nerite females continuously lay hard white eggs all over tank walls, decorations, wood, rock, filters etc. that are difficult to remove. I'd suggest a couple of Otocinclus catfish (they are brown and green algae eating machines) rather than nerites for your tank. Otocinclus stay small, gobble algae, are peaceful, non-aggressiive and are fun to watch. You need to feed them, just like any fish. Especially once visible algae is gone. A good quality bottom feeder algae tab is easy. If you decide to buy them though, be sure you select healthy, well fed individuals from a tank that does not contain sick or dying fish and that you acclimate them to your tank temp by floating them for ~20 minutes before putting them in the tank. I highly recommend quarantining any new fish for a couple of weeks before adding them to an established tank.