Brown Algae Problem

Krest

I currently have a cycled 55 gallon tank with a 4-5inch Oscar and a 4-5inch Jack Dempsey. For months I have been struggling with Brown algae which covers every surface including the glass, fake plants, and decorations. It’s disgusting and looks aweful. I clean the decorations and fake plants biweekly as well as 40% water changes.
I was wondering how to get rid of the brown algae or atleast reduce it?
Would a pleco or something help to reduce the algae?

kallililly1973

For those 2 fish I would make sure you have a lot of filtration and maybe even add a power head to circulate the water more. Also I would be doing 50-75% WC’s with those two high bioload fish. Do you have pics? How long has the tank been up n running

Krest

I have two filters, TopFin Silentstream 75 Power Filter and a large Hydro Sponge Filter. The tank has been running since July 2019. The Oscar and Jack Dempsey are each about 4-5 inches right now. And I do not have pictures, I had just cleaned the tank a few days ago.

Roger121

the brown algae appear in high tech when the illumination and the fertilizers "phosphate and nitrogenated" are unbalanced, unbalances coz the illumination is weak.
In low-tech must happen similarly, may excess of nutrients in the water.
I'm talking about this kinda brown algae, if is not this kinda brown algae may are diatoms

IMG_20190324_152800.jpg

FinalFins

The oscar will need a bigger tank and I am not sure but the Jack Dempsey may need to to. Oscars can reach over to foot in length so a 80+ gallon is reccomended.

kallililly1973

The oscar will need a bigger tank and I am not sure but the Jack Dempsey may need to to. Oscars can reach over to foot in length so a 80+ gallon is reccomended.
Not to be disrespectful but you always jump on stocking issues when the title says everything but stocking. Stick to the topic. And maybe PM the person about the stock issues. This is a thread about an algae in the OP's tank not the stock.

Krest

the brown algae appear in high tech when the illumination and the fertilizers "phosphate and nitrogenated" are unbalanced, unbalances coz the illumination is weak.
In low-tech must happen similarly, may excess of nutrients in the water.
I'm talking about this kinda brown algae, if is not this kinda brown algae may are diatoms

IMG_20190324_152800.jpg
Yeah the algae does not look like that, my tank definitely has diatoms.

FinalFins

Diatoms are caused by silcates in water.

Nothing you can really do. I wouldn't get a pleco, your tank is overstocked to begin with but you can just rub the diatoms off.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Valpal908
Replies
Views
airdog44
Replies
Views
americanninja
Replies
Views