Brown Algae out of control

Masterx4020

Hello I set up a 30 gallon tank and it has been though several water changes already. However I have been struggling with brown algae(diatoms) in my tank. My current set up consist of the following:

Fake decor
Fake plants
pool filter sand
canister filter
wave maker
led light
heater
bubble wall

The type of fish I have are the following:
4 gourami 2 powder blue and 2 red flame
8 neon tetra
4 zebra danios
3 otocinclus

What can I do to control these diatoms? They are growing everywhere, from the glass to all the decor.

bettasXD

Hello I set up a 30 gallon tank and it has been though several water changes already. However I have been struggling with brown algae(diatoms) in my tank. My current set up consist of the following:

Fake decor
Fake plants
pool filter sand
canister filter
wave maker
led light
heater
bubble wall

8 neon tetra
4 zebra danios
3 otocinclus

What can I do to control these diatoms? They are growing everywhere, from the glass to all the decor.
Maybe reduce the amount of light the tank gets every day.

Masterx4020

Maybe reduce the amount of light the tank gets every day.
Wouldn't that just kill green algae, not brown algae? I have heard that brown algae thrives in low light, and green algae grows in bright light.

bettasXD

Wouldn't that just kill green algae, not brown algae? I have heard that brown algae thrives in low light, and green algae grows in bright light.
Really? That worked for me when brown algae grew in my tank.

Fake decor
Fake plants
pool filter sand
canister filter
wave maker
led light
heater
bubble wall

8 neon tetra
4 zebra danios
3 otocinclus

Maybe get some nerite snails.

carsonsgjs

If its a newly set up tank then diatoms are fairly common. You have otos in there which will love eating the diatoms, so I wouldn’t add anything else to try and control it. Give it time and the diatoms will go on their own though as the tank matures.

Plecolover4477

Fake decor
Fake plants
pool filter sand
canister filter
wave maker
led light
heater
bubble wall

8 neon tetra
4 zebra danios
3 otocinclus

First if it s a fairly new setup then what you're experiencing is perfectly normal.How long do you have your lights on for?There is not much you can do it will run its course, and then eventually has your tank establishes you'll soon develop some beautiful green algae.I know the brown algae is an unsightly sight.Just have patience and keep up with yr regular WC and maintenance.

Donthemon

I used phosguard before and it seemed to help.

Attachments

• BBB0D5BE-55F8-4493-8E4F-470F21F8EAC5.png
    BBB0D5BE-55F8-4493-8E4F-470F21F8EAC5.png
    287.1 KB · Views: 1

Masterx4020

First if it s a fairly new setup then what you're experiencing is perfectly normal.How long do you have your lights on for?There is not much you can do it will run its course, and then eventually has your tank establishes you'll soon develop some beautiful green algae.I know the brown algae is an unsightly sight.Just have patience and keep up with yr regular WC and maintenance.
How many cycles or how long do you estimate it will take for this phase to pass?

Similar Aquarium Threads

75 Gallon Tank Brown Algae Starting
  • Huskersfan75
  • Algae
Replies
Views
Momgoose56
  • Sanchez5296
  • Algae
Replies
Views
Sanchez5296