Brown Algae On Plant Leaves

MCJoner

Reactions
Experience
5 years
First time I’ve ever had success growing plants, really good growth and new shoots after a month of establishing, trouble is I keep getting brown algae on the leaves and I’m worried this will stunt the plants, any fixes other that manually getting it off?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
3 years
MCJoner said:
First time I’ve ever had success growing plants, really good growth and new shoots after a month of establishing, trouble is I keep getting brown algae on the leaves and I’m worried this will stunt the plants, any fixes other that manually getting it off?
Nerite snails and Amano shrimp if your stocking allows it.

Almost forgot, how long are your lights on, and how much water do you change each week?

OP
MCJoner

MCJoner

Reactions
Experience
5 years
Fahn said:
Almost forgot, how long are your lights on, and how much water do you change each week?
HI my lights are set on a timer from 12pm- 10pm sometimes longer if I’m home and want to see the tank, my stocking is black neon tetras, cardinal, and glow light tetras, also have some nearly full grown roseline sharks/torpedo barbs

imba

Well Known
Reactions
I gotta say, that's quite long for the lights to be on. I think you'll continue to have algae issues if they are on that long.

My planted tank is only on 6 hrs a day

OP
MCJoner

MCJoner

Reactions
Experience
5 years
imba said:
I gotta say, that's quite long for the lights to be on. I think you'll continue to have algae issues if they are on that long.

My planted tank is only on 6 hrs a day
Fair enough I’ll lessen the lighting time, just want to continue the good growth and healthy plants. Maybe I can’t have it all lol

IceForever

Reactions
Experience
2 years
MCJoner said:
Fair enough I’ll lessen the lighting time, just want to continue the good growth and healthy plants. Maybe I can’t have it all lol
Correct. If you have your lights on for a long photo period, it will help your plants grow, sure, but it will also help other stuff grow.

I got some shrimp to help out, but they are too scared of my angel to sit too much out in the open, so I got some snails and they have been doing a good job of helping keep my plants clean. My SAE/Flying Fox also helps clean my plants.

The sweet spot for my lights is around 6-7 hours.

OP
MCJoner

MCJoner

Reactions
Experience
5 years
IceForever said:
Correct. If you have your lights on for a long photo period, it will help your plants grow, sure, but it will also help other stuff grow.

I got some shrimp to help out, but they are too scared of my angel to sit too much out in the open, so I got some snails and they have been doing a good job of helping keep my plants clean. My SAE/Flying Fox also helps clean my plants.

The sweet spot for my lights is around 6-7 hours.
Okay cheers mate, I honestly don’t think shrimp would last two seconds with my big torpedo barbs in there, they are always hungry and definitely small enough to be eaten! I will try less hours on the lighting to see if that helps

Lovecich

Reactions
Experience
1 year
MCJoner said:
Nerites will take care of the sides of the tank and it seems they clean the plants after that. Some of my plants are still waiting, but the nerites will do them eventually.

IceForever

Reactions
Experience
2 years
MCJoner said:
Okay cheers mate, I honestly don’t think shrimp would last two seconds with my big torpedo barbs in there, they are always hungry and definitely small enough to be eaten! I will try less hours on the lighting to see if that helps
You might be surprised. Most will likely get slaughtered, yes, but it’s a nice treat for your fish that go after them, and some of them will probably survive and live in hiding if you have enough cover for them (I have a lot).

You can buy ghost shrimp by the dozen for real cheap. Depending on your tank size maybe you could just dump some in and try it out. At the least, as I mentioned, it would be a nice treat for your fish that can/do eat them. Similar to occasionally getting brine shrimp or blood worms

OP
MCJoner

MCJoner

Reactions
Experience
5 years
IceForever said:
You might be surprised. Most will likely get slaughtered, yes, but it’s a nice treat for your fish that go after them, and some of them will probably survive and live in hiding if you have enough cover for them (I have a lot).

You can buy ghost shrimp by the dozen for real cheap. Depending on your tank size maybe you could just dump some in and try it out. At the least, as I mentioned, it would be a nice treat for your fish that can/do eat them. Similar to occasionally getting brine shrimp or blood worms
That’s true I might see if I can find some cheap shrimp, don’t want to spend out a lot on the crazy colour ones as they’re too expensive to just be food haha

IceForever

Reactions
Experience
2 years
MCJoner said:
That’s true I might see if I can find some cheap shrimp, don’t want to spend out a lot on the crazy colour ones as they’re too expensive to just be food haha
Yeah exactly. I get ghost shrimp for like 1.99 or 2.99 per dozen. It’s probably more expensive than other places, but this is a family-owned LFS and I prefer to do business with them for that reason, in addition to the fact that I don’t have to quarantine my fish (they do it before they sell the fish to me) before adding them. Plus I get my water from them so I have no issues acclimating, but I digress...they are pretty common to find and actually commonly used as ‘feeder’ shrimp similar to feeder guppies or brine shrimp, but they do grow to be fairly large (and sometimes prawns will get mixed in with them lol, luckily my angel killed all of those)

But yeah, I have put one dozen in to my 46g on two separate occasions. In total I have about 5 left -I think- out of the 24. So it’s mostly a cheap treat for my fish, and as a bonus a decent number survive and help clean things up. All of the Amano shrimp that I’ve put in have survived...they seem to be more cautious/aware and much faster than the ghosts, and I believe they are breeding. My ghosts breed as well but I just let nature run it’s course so most of not all of the shrimp get eaten. I think I’ve had one baby survive ever but he got picked off eventually by my angel lol

OP
MCJoner

MCJoner

Reactions
Experience
5 years
IceForever said:
Yeah exactly. I get ghost shrimp for like 1.99 or 2.99 per dozen. It’s probably more expensive than other places, but this is a family-owned LFS and I prefer to do business with them for that reason, in addition to the fact that I don’t have to quarantine my fish (they do it before they sell the fish to me) before adding them. Plus I get my water from them so I have no issues acclimating, but I digress...they are pretty common to find and actually commonly used as ‘feeder’ shrimp similar to feeder guppies or brine shrimp, but they do grow to be fairly large (and sometimes prawns will get mixed in with them lol, luckily my angel killed all of those)

But yeah, I have put one dozen in to my 46g on two separate occasions. In total I have about 5 left -I think- out of the 24. So it’s mostly a cheap treat for my fish, and as a bonus a decent number survive and help clean things up. All of the Amano shrimp that I’ve put in have survived...they seem to be more cautious/aware and much faster than the ghosts, and I believe they are breeding. My ghosts breed as well but I just let nature run it’s course so most of not all of the shrimp get eaten. I think I’ve had one baby survive ever but he got picked off eventually by my angel lol
I’m unsure of shrimp prices here in the uk but even common cherry shrimp I’ve seen at £4 each! Not seen any ghost shrimp yet but I have a fair few stores around me I can look at!

New Threads