Brown algae on Amazon Sword

Status
Not open for further replies.

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What is the best way to get rid of brown algae on an Amazon Sword plant in a goldfish tank?

Plecos - out of the question! They tend to die for unknown reasons, they sometimes try to eat the slime coat of other fish and if they do survive, their expected fully grown size is over a foot long. NO.

Siamese Algae Eaters - I hear they usually pester the other fish in the aquarium, and I've seen them eating the eyeballs from other fishes' skulls in a too-crowded tank in a Walmart once.

Snails?

I don't want to use chemicals.

High temperatures? Low temperatures? What kills it?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Where did you get your information about those fish? It's rather inaccurate. Siamese Algae Eaters couldn't harm another fish even if they wanted to. They just don't have the tools to harm anything. Not all Plecos are over 1ft long. There are many smaller species & even a few suitable for a 20gal tank. I have also NEVER heard of a Pleco sucking the slime coat off another fish. I think you have confused the Siamese Algae Eater & the Plecos with the Chinese Algae Eater, which is an aggressive fish & has been known to suck the slime coat off large fish.

In anycase as Bristlenose Pleco would be an option at just 6" in length but it would still mean your tank is overstocked & you would need to do extra water changes. It would NEVER harm another fish. Siamese Algae Eaters don't eat Diatoms (your brown algae) so they are no good to you. I believe Nerite Snails would eat the Diatoms but I think the Goldfish would also eat them.

Diatoms are fairly common in new tanks such as yours. They seem more prevalent in higher PH water & they seem to thrive in lower light conditions. Seeing as your PH is already at 7.0 (assuming it's still the same), you could try increasing the light intensity. Otherwise I would just give it time. Diatoms usually go away on thier own. They can last anywhere from a few months to a couple years. I think you just need to be patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 68 67.3%

Top Bottom