Brown Algae Maybe?

seth rodgers

Valued Member
Messages
194
Reaction score
11
Points
53
Hello,
I have some brown stuff forming on my gravel. I believe it is diatoms but I would just like to confirm as when i did a water change, the gravel vacuum did not clear it up. it is only on a portion of the gravel.
 

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Messages
1,090
Reaction score
387
Points
73
Experience
More than 10 years
seth rodgers said:
Hello,
I have some brown stuff forming on my gravel. I believe it is diatoms but I would just like to confirm as when i did a water change, the gravel vacuum did not clear it up. it is only on a portion of the gravel.
Your quite right. What most people call brown algae are actually diatoms. They are a definite nuisance. They need light but they don't use it the same way that plants do, so lowering light won't help much. They will feed faster when nitrates are high, but they really need silicates and other mineral in the water. There are filter media that can lower both silicates and phophates. Google silicate remover and you'll get ads of what products are offered to remove silicates. You may only be able to slow them down with such media. I use a light brownish colored gravel that gets mixed around when I vacuum and I just take the ornaments out about once a month and clean them under running water with an old toothbrush. Research the silicate removers. I never tried them so for all I know, they may work wonders.
 

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,662
Reaction score
2,023
Points
498
Experience
More than 10 years
Soumds like it but there is other algae that can look brown. Its pretty normal in new tanks and tends to disapear after the tank matures.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

seth rodgers

Valued Member
Messages
194
Reaction score
11
Points
53
smee82 said:
Soumds like it but there is other algae that can look brown. Its pretty normal in new tanks and tends to disapear after the tank matures.
How long should that take?
 

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Messages
1,090
Reaction score
387
Points
73
Experience
More than 10 years
seth rodgers said:
How long should that take?
Look up Silicate remover, no I'll look it up now.... Seachem makes a media that removes phosphate and silicates. You can find it online at Chewy.com and it is already in a bag to place in the filter and is priced at $5.09. The brown growth is diatoms. There is no such thing as brown algae in fresh water. There is on found in saltwater, but that wouldn't be an issue in your case.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7

seth rodgers

Valued Member
Messages
194
Reaction score
11
Points
53
finnipper59 said:
Look up Silicate remover, no I'll look it up now.... Seachem makes a media that removes phosphate and silicates. You can find it online at Chewy.com and it is already in a bag to place in the filter and is priced at $5.09. The brown growth is diatoms. There is no such thing as brown algae in fresh water. There is on found in saltwater, but that wouldn't be an issue in your case.
ok thanks i will look into it
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom