Brown Algae In New Tank

1. A

Amaresh Valued Member Member

Hello Fishlovers

I am into my 12th day of cycling process. I see brown spots on stones and leaves of live plants.
    How can I remove them? Should I worry about this development.

2. Cranks_Tanks

Cranks_Tanks Valued Member Member

Algae is a natural part of every tank cycle. Cut back on the lights to just long enough to keep the plants alive, 3 or 4 hours a day should be plenty. If you have another tank you can move the plants into so you can leave the lights off in the tank while it cycles, that would be best.
    It should come right off if you rub it gently though.

3. Culprit

Culprit Fishlore VIP Member

Its just fine. Its called diatoms and in just about every single tank I've put up its in them. Don't worry, it goes away on its own in a few weeks! They're caused by excess silicates and phosphates in the water. They should rub off really really easily. Just rub them off the plants especially, and anything else you want cleaned gently with a toothbrush or something similar.

4. OP
    OP
    A

Amaresh Valued Member Member

Thanks a lot

5. p

purslanegarden Well Known Member Member

I was just about to say, not everyone is getting them in new tanks so there must be some other condition also. Thanks for the info about something in the water. That is definitely a factor of different geographical areas.

6. Culprit

Culprit Fishlore VIP Member

Like I said its caused by excess phosphates and silicates in the water. Silicates tend to leak out of sand, artificial substrate, artificial deco ect. Phosphates are in there because their in the water already. Pretty soon the silicates stop leaking and the diatoms go away.