Brown algae everywhere

nanzey

I thought my plants were dying because they were turning brown. On closer inspection I realize they are just covered in brown algae! I added an Anubias less than two weeks ago and it's starting to get some spots too.
Then just in the last few days I am seeing all the corners of the tank turn brown.
What's the best plan of attack?
Stats:
10 gal
77-78 degrees
1 betta
3 Amanos (apparently lazy Amanos)
2 ferns, 3 moss balls, 1 Anubias
Ammo= 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 10-20
pH 8.0

Thanks!

Lady Monster

nanzey

Lady Monster

If it's diatoms I'm told they will go away on their own when you remove the food source. Which could be in the water itself or the sand. They feed on silicates. Remove as much brown as you can and clean the filter, I bet you have a ton in the mechanical filtration. Just keep cleaning it out of your tank, and eventually it will die off.

nanzey

I'll get a pic of the ferns later. This is what just popped up on the Anubias.

nanzey

How can I tell if it's diatoms?

Lady Monster

Brown and slimey. The pic looks more like dirt, gently wipe the plants off during water changes. I should have snapped a photo of my water bucket the other day, my filter had a ton in it all over my sponge and media. What filter do you have? Use a bowl of tank water to squeeze the gunk out because if its diatoms they will build up quickly and I have been cleaning my filter sponge a few times a week to combat the bloom.

It really looks more like settled debris than diatoms. Did you get other pics?

nanzey

Brown and slimey sounds about right.
I did a water change today and scraped some off the glass first. I didn't do the whole tank here are some pics:

Lady Monster

Just keep wiping it off the glass, I have diatoms in my 30 gallon and my water have never been this clear looking. My fish probably eat it off the surfaces but when I get to the gravel and filter they are just loaded with it.

Geoff

I'm surprised your amanos aren't eating up those diatoms! They definitely must be lazy. Check out the before & after pictures in my thread:

I have 10 amanos who cleared up every bit of diatoms in 10 days.

nanzey

Geoff said:
I'm surprised your amanos aren't eating up those diatoms! They definitely must be lazy. Check out the before & after pictures in my thread:

I have 10 amanos who cleared up every bit of diatoms in 10 days.
Wow! I can't believe the difference in those pictures!
Maybe I need more Amanos? I was going to add at least another 3 because they are so much fun to watch.
I wish I knew why I'm getting the sudden outbreak. Tank has been set up since March.
I don't think over feeding is the issue because I only feed what the betta eats. I added root tabs about 3 weeks ago (hasn't helped the swords at all and just made a mess of my sand so a total waste) maybe that's the cause?
I throw a hikarI shrimp wafer in there every few days but they don't really seem to want it. Maybe they are full on diatoms. For all I know it could be worse without them!
I've had 5 molts from 3 shrimp in two weeks. So they are growing on something.

Lady Monster

nanzey said:
Wow! I can't believe the difference in those pictures!
Maybe I need more Amanos? I was going to add at least another 3 because they are so much fun to watch.
I wish I knew why I'm getting the sudden outbreak. Tank has been set up since March.
I don't think over feeding is the issue because I only feed what the betta eats. I added root tabs about 3 weeks ago (hasn't helped the swords at all and just made a mess of my sand so a total waste) maybe that's the cause?
I throw a hikarI shrimp wafer in there every few days but they don't really seem to want it. Maybe they are full on diatoms. For all I know it could be worse without them!
I've had 5 molts from 3 shrimp in two weeks. So they are growing on something.
Growing and mating

nanzey

Lady Monster said:
Growing and mating
Found another molt thismorning! That's 6 in 2 weeks from 3 shrimp.
They molt when they mate?

Lady Monster

nanzey said:
Found another molt thismorning! That's 6 in 2 weeks from 3 shrimp.
They molt when they mate?
Well if you don't see any with saddles then they aren't ready to reproduce. When the saddles move to their tails then they are officially pregnant (berried). Off you don't have any worth saddles then its likely they are growing instead of mating.

nanzey

Found a dead shrimp thismorning. Brown algae still everywhere (even growing back where I wiped it off the glass Saturday. And I have a sulking betta who won't eat.
Any theories?

Lady Monster

What have you already done to the tank? As far as cleaning and water changes.

nanzey

I did a 30% water change Saturday and wiped it off half the tank first so hopefully I sucked out most of that with the change.
I swished the filter media in the bucket and a lot of junk came out.
I need to wipe it off the heater next time around. It's all over the rubber parts.
I did another 25% water change last night.
Would root tabs cause this? I put some in about a month ago and have been regretting it (for multiple reasons) ever since.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom