Brown Algae Eaters?

PureKlutz

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Does anyone know of anything that likes brown algae? I have it all over my gravel under the filer. The tank currently only has one (very calm) male Betta. (He’s used to cherry shrimp.)

I have green algae too (but I think cherry shrimp will eat that once they’re added back to the tank.)

Edit: added photos of brown and green algae and test results from before and after a water change that was 1 month from the last change.
CDA1055B-C9D7-4784-A9E1-ECD6433B0F56.jpeg B013DE2A-6F31-4BE8-A84E-1FC4BB1E6D1F.jpeg FEE4663A-662F-48D2-A74F-BD67A827A671.jpeg
AC3A6CE7-2A4D-4815-9949-595477A18845.jpeg
B78E6881-E79F-4A73-9236-2955EE550BBE.jpeg

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Several nerite snails would be good. If the betta leaves them alone. Bettas often go after snails and shrimp.

You could try ottos but I feel a ten gallon is to small for a school of them. They are social fish. And are often hard to keep. Sounds like you have diatoms. I am guessing that this is a fairly new setup?

PureKlutz

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thunder_o_b said:
Several nerite snails would be good. If the betta leaves them alone. Bettas often go after snails and shrimp.

You could try ottos but I feel a ten gallon is to small for a school of them. They are social fish. And are often hard to keep. Sounds like you have diatoms. I am guessing that this is a fairly new setup?
Yes it’s a pretty new set up (a few months) and it’s nowhere near finished (just got plants for it this week). It wasn’t cycled because of the circumstances.

He’s good with shrimp but he’s never seen a snail before. I might get one and see how he reacts!

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If it helps, the betta I'm looking after had a huge amount of brown diatoms in his tank, so I tried a few ramshorn then pond snails as a test.... he ate them pretty quick. I then put in a nerite, and he was very curious about it for the first few days, but I guess he couldn't figure out how to attack it since their body is basically totally covered, as he now leaves it alone to clean the algae

PureKlutz

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I guess I’ll add 2 nerite snails to my plan! (I like how they don’t breed in fresh water.)

That makes my plan 1 Betta, 5 shrimp and 2 snails!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom