Brown Algae(diatoms)

Lorraine.Kelly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi I recently set up and cycled my 190l tank
The last day or two i have noticed a few brown spots and some brown on my rocks.
I have been googling all day and i have been faced with conflicting info about how to deal with this issue.
I have read that too much light is bad but too little is bad
I have plants in my tank and 7 fish
I have a pond solutions EF+1000 external filter and today i put in a small powerhead to increase the circulation a bit.
My filter has a new UV bulb in it, i know this only works on floating algae that cause green water and some parasites.
Does more oxygen help?
Does more light help?
I have scrubbed off what i can but i really dont want this to take over.
My levels are ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrates are 12.5 but my tap water is well water and has 10.0 in it anyway. PH is 8.0.
Any advice is welcome and appreciated

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lorraine.Kelly said:
Hi I recently set up and cycled my 190l tank
The last day or two i have noticed a few brown spots and some brown on my rocks.
I have been googling all day and i have been faced with conflicting info about how to deal with this issue.
I have read that too much light is bad but too little is bad
I have plants in my tank and 7 fish
I have a pond solutions EF+1000 external filter and today i put in a small powerhead to increase the circulation a bit.
My filter has a new UV bulb in it, i know this only works on floating algae that cause green water and some parasites.
Does more oxygen help?
Does more light help?
I have scrubbed off what i can but i really dont want this to take over.
My levels are ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrates are 12.5 but my tap water is well water and has 10.0 in it anyway. PH is 8.0.
Any advice is welcome and appreciated
What you have Is common in new aquariums. They feed on silicate and as far as I know do not care about light all that much. This will clear on its own in time. Ottos and nerite snails make short work of them. But ottos can be difficult to keep alive.

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I know Im picking up on kinda an old thread, but same issue for me and new tank. If I leave it be (just clean the glass) will it choke out my plants before the diatom cycle finishes, or do I have to clean the plants off regularly, (if I even can). All the plants are new and not yet rooted so touching them is concerning. All I have in the tank besides the plants are 3 mystery snails.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom