Brown Algae (diatoms), Too Cats And Overstocking

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
Ok, so I know already know I'm overstocked. I just finished reading the "Stocking tools" thread and the "AqAdvisor" thread.

Current setup:
  1. Recently (1-2 weeks) cycled 20 gallon standard (high)
  2. Tidal 55 HOB and powerhead driven Hydro 3 sponge
  3. Air pump and 7" bubbler
  4. Gravel substrate
  5. Four Mollies
  6. One (FW) Angel
  7. Two Mystery snails and two Nerite snails
  8. Three resin ornaments
  9. Transitioning from fake to live plants. One java fern, two anubias nanas and nine small s.repens, all growing well. Expecting a ton of water wisteria (Hygrophila difformis) today
Zero ammonia, zero nitrite, 5-20 nitrates depending on water changes, pH is 7.8 to 8.0, rarely 8.2. All tests are API Master.

So, I'm starting to get some diatom algae, noticeable on decorations. Sounds like Otocinclus are pretty good at handling the diatoms but I'm afraid my pH is too low for them, in addition to my current stocking.

I'm thinking on a group of four otos and I'm willing to deal with the stocking issues, with water changes, but I'm wondering about the health of the otos.

Would this really work?

TIA,

- tony -

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The ottos would do better in a more established tank IME. The nerites should help with the diatoms as well as you brushing what you can away when u see them. I usually give my tanks 3-4 months after the cycle to establish some "stuff" then I'll add a few otto cats.

OP
Mongo75

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
kallililly1973 said:
The ottos would do better in a more established tank IME. The nerites should help with the diatoms as well as you brushing what you can away when u see them. I usually give my tanks 3-4 months after the cycle to establish some "stuff" then I'll add a few otto cats.
I was worried about my pH being too high, but after reading your response, and going back and reading more about their care and paying more attention to the "well established" parts, I agree.

Looks like I'll wait for a few more months, and in the mean time, look for a larger tank too, lol.

Thanks

New Threads