Brown algae coating everything in tank! (Pics)

Discussion in 'Saltwater Algae Problems' started by JTTSDBEMV, Dec 9, 2012.

1. JTTSDBEMV

JTTSDBEMVNew MemberMember

My 55 gallon reef tank has been set up for a month and a few weeks and there is a layer of brown algae coating everything. I have to clean the inside of the glass once a day and my poor tiger goby is working overtime keeping the sand clean. Water parameters are perfect. I tested it myself and took a sample to my LFS in case my test kit was off and they said everything was spot on as well. The fish in are 2 clowns, a Bangaii cardinal and a tiger watchman goby. What could be wrong with it?
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  2. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

The algae is diatoms, probably combined with some Live Rock die off too. It will go away on it's own as the tank establishes. Diatoms are perfectly normal for a newly established setup.

You can limit the presence of diatoms through the following methods:

Lighting: Reduce the lighting the tank receives.
    Nutrients: Nitrates and Phosphates can promote diatoms (and other algaes). A protein skimmer helps remove DOCs from the water before they turn into nitrates.
    Water: Using tap water can often introduce silicates, which diatoms love. Switching to RO/DI (if not already using) can help limit the introduction of silicates to your water column.
    Maintenance: Regular maintenance (water changes) also help to remove excess nutrients from the water.

If you could kindly complete your aquarium info, it will help to guide a solution.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice