Brown algae coating all my plants

RickyRicardo1838

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello, I have been battling with this brown algae that keeps covering all my plants in my 150 gallon tank, when it gets really bad I pull the plants out and place them in my shrimp tank, and the plants are cleaned in a day and then I put them back in. The problem is that the algae comes back in a few days, and I can't keep constantly moving my plants around. The plants I have are a bunch of wisteria, water sprite, and an anubias mother plant. The tank is fed flakes once a day, and it does have a heavy bioload. I also do 80% water changes once a week because of the heavy bioload, and hopefully to minimize algae but it doesn't help the algae problem. My filtration is 1 sun sun canister filter, and 2 pumps connected to small above tank trickle filters mainly used for mechanical filtration, with total 700GPH. Canister has lava rock and filter floss. The light is a 4ft full spectrum beamswork LED that is on for 9 hours. Any suggestions to get rid of the algae/find the source of it? It has been really frustrating and I almost just want to redo the tank with shrimps, but I love my fish. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Fish in tank

3 angelfish
1 gold severum
1 adult electric blue acara/ 2 baby electric blue acara
8 congo tetras
10 black skirt tetras
3 clown loaches
3 parrot cichlids
2 pearl gourami

will1221

Valued Member
Reaction score
How long are your lights on for?

RickyRicardo1838

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

will1221

Valued Member
Reaction score
9 hours seems reasonable for a planted tank most of the time it’s people complaining about diatoms and having their lights on for 12-16 hours idk.

RickyRicardo1838

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
will1221 said:
9 hours seems reasonable for a planted tank most of the time it’s people complaining about diatoms and having their lights on for 12-16 hours idk.
Yeah that's what I thought, I feel like I'm doing everything right to battle algae, low light, short hours, large water changes, a lot of plants, but still have the algae problems.

will1221

Valued Member
Reaction score
It might be an abundance if fertiliser nutrients which is feeding the algae as it has a heavy bio load but usually the plants would absorb a reasonable amount

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom