Brown algae came back... | Page 2

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Imashark, Dec 25, 2012.

1. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

You'd be surprised how adaptable fish are. I wouldn't be surprised if your tetras are tolerating the ammonia really well.

I agree with Joanna. You need to aim for 0 ammonia and nitrite while your nitrate should be below 20. I have a very heavily planted tank and my nitrates still fluctuate between 0 and 5.

2. OP
    OP
    Imashark

ImasharkValued MemberMember

I do water changes about once a week I take out about 1/3 of the tank. I stick the vac into the gravel and suck up small particles (bacteria?) and move around until my basket is almost full. Am I killing my cycle by doing too big of water changes and removing too much nutrients and beneficial bacteria? Bacteria needs a source of food, but so do diatoms.

3. RogueAgent94

No, I doubt you are killing your cycle by doing that kind of waterchange. The vast majority of the bacteria is in the filter so that's the thing you don't want to mess with very often. Have you cleaned it recently or changed out the filter pads?

EDIT: Also, apparently silica in your water can promote diatom growth. Know if you have high levels of that?

4. OP
    OP
    Imashark

I did rinse out the sponges and the media in my filter recently. If you don't I don't see how the filter will keep the tank clean. I rinsed it with chlorinated water though. Is there anything else I can do?

I don't have silica sand and not sure how to test for it. I used tap water + Prime for my tank. If my parameters are off and that's what's causing diatoms what should I do?

5. JoannaB

JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

No, do not use use chlorinated water to clean filter. Chlorine kills any bacteria and does not differentiate between good and bad bacteria. Use water that has been dechlorinated (with water conditioner). If you keep up with your regular water changes then the old water which you removed from your tank will be clean enough to rinse the filter in.

6. RogueAgent94

+1 Rinsing the water in the chlorinated water probably killed your cycle. I always use old tank water to wash my media out.

7. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I always clean my media with chlorinated tap water. The mechanical media is thoroughly washed and the biomedia is given a quick rinse, as that's all it ever needs.

Tap water does not kill on contact, and it does not sterilize the media. If you really went to town trying to get it "like new", then you probably damaged the cycle. The good news is that the bacteria that survived will recolonize the media, so you are not starting over from scratch. Moving forward, you never want to thoroughly clean biomedia.

8. JoannaB

JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

Interesting. So you are saying that the do not use chlorinated water rule is as inaccurate as the use only stuff that has never seen soap rule? I use Tupperware containers that had other uses in previous life and definitely were washed with soap for aquarium use now, and none of my fish have died due to soap residue, and yet I have seen other people stress the container that had never seen soap rule as if the containers were changed by soap on a molecular level to instantly kill all fish from then on. :) I guess these rules are sometimes exaggerated.

9. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

In my experience, and many others, washing media with tap water is a non issue. COULD you screw things up? Sure, if you went nuts with it. But if you did it with the understanding that you aren't trying to kill off all the bacteria, you'll be fine. I don't have any experience with soap things. There isn't anything fish related I have that would ever need to see soap, nor is there anything I would wash in the dishwasher than would be used in fish keeping.

I don't play by the rules - I think most of the warnings are exaggerated, and some are flat out unwarranted.

10. OP
    OP
    Imashark

Sorry I'm dumb I did wash my media with de-chlorinated water I know chlorine kills good bacteria. I read you shouldn't wipe diatoms off the glass and that will make it spread throughout the take and make pro-long its stay? Is my tank overstocked; 6 gallon edge: 1 betta, 6 neons...might get an oto, or cherry shrimp if this won't go away. I know the 1 inch per gallon rule is baloney as long as you do wcs.

Should I just stop vacuuming the gravel and "wait" for it to go away? Thanks for the help btw everyone I appreciate it.

*Also, I noticed a couple pieces of my white gravel have GREEN algae on it now. I've never had green algae in my tank before?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013