Brown Algae And Brown Edges Of Leaves

jaydivingboard

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi, I've recently noticed brown algae on the glass and I have tried scrubbing it off, doing water changes, dosing liquid CO2 to see if it was a defeciency in CO2 for my plants, any idea on what this issue is? And how I can fix it?

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yea diatoms; that’s just a new tank for ya. It’s a good sign your tank is supporting life though. My favorite method of cleaning it is a couple nerite snails.

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Like @kallililly1973 said you can rub it off the plants or get some nerites to munch on it. Snails are always a great addition to a tank! Either way I wouldn’t expect any long term detriment to the plants

jaydivingboard

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Diatoms are normal in a new tank. They should go away on their own.
Hey, I know this thread is old now but the Diatoms have not really gone away, more so multiplied, everytime i wipe it away a thicker layer comes back sooner than later

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It’s definitely gonna take patience and time. The first tank I setup it took around 2months to clear out. Second tank I bought 5 nerite snails and the had it gone in a week

LordGrim

Reaction score
Hey, I know this thread is old now but the Diatoms have not really gone away, more so multiplied, everytime i wipe it away a thicker layer comes back sooner than later
I did had a Diatoms bloom last week, what i did was a huge water change (90%) try to manually clear them. Than 2 days later, i introduce 5 ottos into my tank. A few days later, diatoms can't be seen at all. Ottos are great and fun to watch when they go around cleaning up the tank~~

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom