Brown Algae and Algae Eater(s)

1. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

A question :)

I have 2 tanks - one 30 gallon, the other 10 gallon. Have 2 angelfish, 12 neons, and one loach (the so called "Chinese Algae Eater"). I keep 6 of my neons in the 10 gallon tank so that it stays cycled, but it's really a Q tank. The rest are in the 30 gallon. Now, I've lately noticed brown algae forming in my 10 gallon, while the 30 gallon (with a loach in it) is clear of any algae. I suppose that the lack of any algae eater(s) in my 10 gallon is causing the algal bloom?

So ... I am thinking about getting an algae eater for my 10 gallon tank. There are 6 neons in it now. But I'd prefer if they were with the other 6 (12 total) in the 30 gallon, so that they'd be happier. Could one small loach/algae eater, or two, alone in a 10 gallon tank keep it cycled and free of algae? Or would I have to have fish in the tank together with algae eater(s)?

Can anybody help me choose the best algae eater(s) for a 10 gallon tank? I'd like a small and peaceful one. Is one small algae eater enough, or should I get more? I have been told here before that bristlenoses are good. Should I get them? How many? Are there any other alternatives to bristlenoses in case I cannot find them?

Thanks. Any help really appreciated :)

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

A couple of Otos would be perfect for your 10G. but they will do such a good job cleaning it you will have to feed them in a couple of days ;) .
    Bristlenose are good also and 1 would be fine in the 10 G.
    Carol

3. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

So ... one larger algae eater like the bristlenose, or a couple of smaller otos would keep my tank cycled too, right? And I could put the 6 neons with the rest of my neons in the 30 gallon tank?

If I decided to get a couple of otos (I read they grow up to 2 inches), how many of them to get for a 10 gallon tank? And if I decide to get a bristlenose - and I read they grow up to 5 inches - won't it be too large for a 10 gallon tank? Will it be OK alone in there?

If I get either of the species, I think I will need a driftwood in there, right? They all like to eat wood. I already have some plants in there, but will also have to put more of them (of the plants), since they like planted tanks and need some hiding spots.

What do you think Carol? ( or Gunnie? lol :) )

4. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Oh, and I forgot. The pH in the small tank is around 7.2 ... would that be OK for the bristlenose or for the otos? I read the otos are pretty sensitive and prone to diseases when changing homes.

5. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Me again ... sorry. About food. What food to give to the bristlenose, or to the ottos, and how often? Thanks :)

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

A couple of otos would be fine for the 10 and would appreciate a plant or two to hide on or perch in, but don't need wood. bristlenose like a place to hide, I do have wood with mine but don't know if they have to have it. Either one will eat veggie wafers, algae wafers. the bristlenose also like shrimp pellets. when the algae is gone I would feed the otos a small piece of wafer each day and the BN 1/2 wafer or two pellets everyday.
    Either would keep your tank cycled and the neons could go in the other tank.
    Your pH is fine for either species. Just check with the store when you buy hem and see what their pH is and if there's a big difference acclimate slowly.

7. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

OK, thank you Carol :)

8. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

P.S. I put my "Chinese" loach into my 10 gallon tank yesterday. All the algae were gone by today. He's back in the large tank. These Chinese loaches may be aggressive in smaller tanks, and I know they're not really Chinese, nor are they true algae eaters. But I never see mine attack any fish in my 30 gallon. And as I have seen many times, it really does a good job with algae. Never had algae in my 30 g. and now he cleaned the whole 10 gallon tank overnight.

I am still getting a smaller algae eater (or some of them if they'll be otos) but I think putting the Chinese loach into my Q tank for one night will do until I get the other algae eater(s).

In books about plants I often see "Spp." (or just "Sp.") abbreviation right after the scientific name of a plant. What does that "Spp." mean? Maybe it's a silly question, but I never figured it out! Anyone?

9. Jason Well Known Member Member

It wouldn't just be species would it
    ex. Anubius sp.

10. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Well, I often see this "Spp." or "Sp." following a scientific name of a plant or of a fish - both being some specific kinds. Again, I realize it may be a silly question, sorry for that, lol :) Anyone knows what it means? J-Man?

11. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

it is the species, for ex. hypostomus sp. refers to the genus hypostomus (plecos i believe). xiphophorus sp. refers to the genus of platys i think, etc.

12. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

It makes sense, thanks Emma. But if "Sp." means "species" then what does "Spp." mean ? "Sppecies" ? LOL ;D

13. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

multiple species lol
    but sp does not always mean "only one species" it can be plural or singular just spp always is plural.

Whew! hope that helps! :D

14. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

I would not keep a bristlenose in a 10g, they grow pretty big.  A couple Otos would be great.  I have 2, and they eat algae really fast!  Check out the site http://www.otocinclus.com/ for info on Otos. 

15. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Thank you Omorrokh. It too seems to me that a 10 gallon tank would be too small for a bristlenose. I wouldn't want it to feel "trapped". For otos a 10 gallon would provide much more space than it would for a bristlenose. How many otos should be enough for a 10 gallon? (They'll be the only fish in that tank and they're shoaling.)

16. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

I had 3 in my 5 gallon with my Betta and they were not crowded but 2 did the job just fine after the first one died. I would suggest at least 3 for 10 gallon to keep it clean. It is for sure going to be an experience for you. They are so cute to watch. They just work their little hearts out and are so gentle little creatures. They never get much more than an inch long without their tails and after they eat they get this really neat "racing stripe" along their bodies. They are really little "poopers" though.

If your moonlight is on you probably will get to watch them at work even more than I can as they are nocturnal by nature. When you first get them they make you feel like you are the dirtiest housekeeper in the world because they work like the tank is filthy and yet it can look like there is nothing there for them to be eating. LOL

I hope you get some and enjoy their little antics.

Rose
    ;)