Brown Algae ALL OVER my tank!

excitedforfish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am seriously about to cry!!

It has taken over my live sand, is beginning to cover up my beautiful live rock and is replacing the coralline on it!!

I don't know what to do! Here are the details:

I recently started up my tank (exactly a week ago). I was lucky enough to get live rock from a local seller who already had it in his tank and was breaking it down. He also gave me 5 gallons of his tank water as well.

Since I have a 14g Biocube, this was a really good start. I know I should have used RO/DI water while setting it up, but from what I heard I thought it was okay to START your tank up with tap water, and then figured I'd do water changed afterwards with RO/DI.

Now, a week later, brown algae is all over. What do i do? Right now, I have 8 hermits and 2 snails in there as well. Also, should I be feeding them? They have been scavenging all over the rocks and I thought they ate algae, but I could be mistaken.

Please help!

So here are the questions I need answered:

1. Is this algae explosion normal????

2. How can I make it go away?

3. Will it kill any livestock (esp. live rock and corals) in my tank?

4. Do I feed the red legged/scarlet hermits anything in my tank while cycling?

I just did a water test and here is what I got back:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: .25 (somewhere between 0 - .25 actually)
Nitrates: 20
pH: 8.2
Temp: 78

Are these readings normal for the algae I have growing?

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to the salt world!!! How long has the tank been setup? I need full detail on what you have what water you are using where is the perimeters of water etc> The more you can tell me the more I can help!!!!

Naeusu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

1. Is this algae explosion normal?
Yes. this is called diatoms and is a normal part of the cycle...it's highly annoying but you just have to wait it out.

wait it out or get snails to eat it.

Nope, harmless algae really.

they'll probably eat the diatoms but you migh wanna drop in extra food to help cycle the tank and feed those guys, although you really shouldn't have put anything in the tank until it finished cycling because it will probably kill your hermits.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Naeusu said:

1. Is this algae explosion normal?
Yes. this is called diatoms and is a normal part of the cycle...it's highly annoying but you just have to wait it out.

wait it out or get snails to eat it.

Nope, harmless algae really.

they'll probably eat the diatoms but you migh wanna drop in extra food to help cycle the tank and feed those guys, although you really shouldn't have put anything in the tank until it finished cycling because it will probably kill your hermits.
There's alot more to it than that!!!

Naeusu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Stang Man said:
There's alot more to it than that!!!
Rofl, i admit it's quite condensed but that's the general effect. Diatoms are a natural part of the algae cycle. They come before green algae starts to grow and the only real way to get rid of them is to wait it out until the green or purple stuff starts to grow in or to get snails that will eat them. You can scrape them off but they just grow back. They won't harm any fish or other animal and the only way they can harm corals is if they grow directly on them and in that case you just gently blow them off the corals. And as for the hermit crabs it's the same statement. He should'nt have put in a CUC when there's nothing in the tank to clean up.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Naeusu said:
Rofl, i admit it's quite condensed but that's the general effect. Diatoms are a natural part of the algae cycle. They come before green algae starts to grow and the only real way to get rid of them is to wait it out until the green or purple stuff starts to grow in or to get snails that will eat them. You can scrape them off but they just grow back. They won't harm any fish or other animal and the only way they can harm corals is if they grow directly on them and in that case you just gently blow them off the corals. And as for the hermit crabs it's the same statement. He should have put in a CUC when there's nothing in the tank to clean up.
Yeah this is the first process of starting a reef and if done correctly then the next stages will happen faster having any algae is a pain and certain actions need to be made in order to control algae growth thru the whole process and will control the tank if not properly controlled.This happens all the time to everyone. If not ready things happen faster and the cure is all about water control!!! I have remedies for this setup stage and this will help.

lil0618

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Q1A: somtimes its part of the cycle but somitimes its bad water paremeters based on what you said i think it would be the cycleor the tank water you got from the other guy

Q2A:get more snails or buy a phosphate and diatom remover pad

Q3A:no

Q4A:they should be fine on algae

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I need more info I cannot answer the questions you have listed till I have answers on what size tank,what equipment you have and what water are you using what is the water perimeters such as ammonia nitrites nitrates phosphates magnessium calcium?I need alot more detail to answer these questions . Ohh and how long tank was set up and anything else you can tell me. i need as much info in order to help fix this problem if you just started then there is more algae to come!!!!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads