Brother Wants A Dragonfish

Vaughn

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So we were at Walmart and my brother saw their dragonfish and wanted one really bad and was actually going to get one and throw it in my goldfish tank but I wouldn't let him. Now he keeps talking about them and how cool they looked but we don't know anything about them. The only information I could find online is that it is actually called a violet goby and it's a brackish water fish. Every website is saying different things as far as tank size and parameters and every website is saying ones from Walmart always die soon. So my question is should I even attempt to set up an aquarium for him and what would you recommend for tank size? Or should I try to talk him into getting some freshwater loaches or something like that? I've never kept anything but freshwater

Also I would be the one taking care of water changes and such so if he does get his own tank the fish would be taken care of by someone who knows what to do

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This site is pretty good. I do find some of their information a bit restrictive. It's a place to start.

OP
Vaughn

Vaughn

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Those are both great links thank you both. I'm still on the fence about branching out of freshwater so I'm not sure I want to try this. Does anyone have any recommendations for fish that have the same eel kind of look that are freshwater? He also liked those dinosaur bichir (?) fish at petsmart but I know they get huge so that's a no

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think the smallest birchir is not bigger than a violet goby,

I also seem to remember that the birchir is a much tougher hardier fish than the goby and more likely to live a long time in the aquarium.

I'd look into it if I were you. I think you may be onto something there.

smallest species of bichir?

OP
Vaughn

Vaughn

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I did start looking into it and the senegals might be a possible option. Most people said one would be okay in a 29 gallon and that sounds possible. I'll just have to keep up with water changes and hopefully I might be able to either upgrade the tank after it starts growing or start out with a bigger tank. I'll definitely need to do a ton of research on them first though

New Threads