Brother Just Won Goldfish. Help

1. RancidLatte

RancidLatte New Member Member

My younger brother and I were at a local carnival and I let him play some of the games while I went on a ride. When we met back up, he had a bag of water in his hands and I knew that he had just won a feeder goldfish. I currently do not have the money to afford even a betta tank setup since I recently set up a new 10 gallon. I don't want to let the thing die as it looks very healthy for a carnival goldfish.
    Any suggestions for a makeshift tank? If I can find something that he can live comfortably in for at least a few months, I can put him in a 90 gallon living room fish tank when we purchase it. Would a bowl be ok to start? a 5 gallon tank?

2. peppy210

peppy210 Valued Member Member

Do you have an unused, clean, large storage container? You can always use one of those but if you don't have one, you can also buy a new one for really cheap but the main problem is getting it cycled :/

And yes get a sponge filter, they are cheap and effective

3. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

Go to Walmart and buy one of the large plastic bins for a few dollars.

They hold between 15-40 gallons, and with a cheap hob/sponge filter, would be adequate for a few months.

Just keep up with your WC's!

4. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Single tail goldfish need 150 gallons when fully grown but really a large pond. Since he's young I would recommend a 20 long minimum. You'll need extremely good filtration and very regular large water changes. Definitely not a bowl.
    Also goldfish are social so he would appreciate a friend.

5. Mike the fish keeper

Mike the fish keeper Valued Member Member

You could buy a storage bin and but in a sponge filter

6. OP
    OP
    RancidLatte

RancidLatte New Member Member

I am pretty good with maintenance. I can easily buy a large storage container and make or buy a spongefilter as well. Thanks.

7. Bettanewb

Bettanewb Well Known Member Member

You beat me to it ;) that's what i was going to say