Question Bronze or Emerald Corys?

Candace

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don’t trust Petco/Petsmart 100% so I’m asking you guys. Are these Emerald Green Corys (Brochis Splendens) or Bronze/Green Corys (Corydoras Aeneus)? Either way they’re my babies and I’m keeping them I just want to make sure they get the proper care associated with their type. (They are fine schooling with my 3 albino Aeneus corys, but that doesn’t mean much).

77A8EFD3-0D1A-433C-85A1-353C49353800.jpegB6704050-326D-4C43-8BB9-19A50FD6A378.jpeg

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It might be because zoom on the picture but they kind of look more like Emeralds too me. They look a little taller bodied like Brochis.

I would wait for other opinions though of course.

I recently just got some true green/bronze from my LFS. I agree with not trusting Petco or Petsmart.

What were they sold as?

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
IMO looks more like Emeralds
Hopefully someone else can identify the fish.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well I looked at the fin rays but I can't be sure. To me it actually looks like a bronze corydora? But I don't know too much about the differences so my answer probably not correct.

OP
Candace

Candace

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They have 8-9 rays on their dorsal fin. I know there’s a difference between bronzes and emeralds but I don’t know the rule.

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
I have two Emerald corydoras. However, Emeralds, as you noted are not corydoras (or are they?!)...????? What I do notice about then is that they seem to be 'different' from the other species of corydora .... I don't know how to explain it. They're more 'adventurous'!!!! :D

Black Thumb

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Definitely Aeneus, not Brochis. I have three, am planning to grow my group to 8-10. They are great fish, if a little oblivious to every other fish in the aquarium with their constant scavenging and occasional jaunts up to the surface to gulp some air. Great fish. My wife doesn't like the color, but what are you going to do? Great fish. You'll enjoy them.

P.S., if they're developing white clumps on their fins, that's because you're overfeeding them. They're fat deposits. They are pigs, like dogs, and don't know when to stop eating. It is a nice reminder not to overfeed your fish, though. ;-)

New Threads