10 Gallon Tank Bronze corys spawned, now what?

Liv2011
So, the two bronze corys I have in QT laid a bunch of eggs all over the glass two days ago. (There’s nothing wrong with them; they’re just fairly new, and the other cory I bought with them to fill out my school died of unknown causes so I wanted to keep a close eye on them.) While I’ve had baby fish before, I’ve never had anything to do with them pre-hatching (the BN plecos that’d spawned are pretty independent that way). I’m culturing infusoria as recommended by every Internet article I saw on fry-raising, and I’ve been removing the eggs fungus, but I’m not 100% sure if some of the eggs are fertile, and I have no idea what to do with any surviving fry. (No thanks to a heater malfunction in the main tank where the corys will be going, I now have room for seven more corys, but I have no plans or space for more than that.)
Should I move the parents out to the main tank now or if/when the eggs hatch? They seem to have been pretty good about not eating the eggs.
Could these bottom ones in the cluster be fertile? They look a little darker.

2924DD1D-C075-4469-87C6-1ED051178BA3.jpeg
70246984-77C4-403F-9331-A9CA501CCDC0.jpeg
If they’re fertile, when could I expect them to hatch? I work the next two days, but I’m off the day after that. I read that they’re supposed to hatch in 3-5 days, so could I expect to come home and find tiny corys?
Should I try moving them to a different setup, or is there no point, since I can just move the parents?
I’ll probably have to do something about the filter intake as well. It’s an AquaClear 20, so it’s pretty strong for the tank size, so I could stick a sponge over the intake tube so the fry don’t get sucked up.
Thanks in advance for any help!

BigManAquatics
I definitely recommend a sponge for the intake with any fry, if you want to give them a better chance of survival. Beyond that, i don't know much about the breeding habits pre and post hatching with cories as i have never kept them.

Advertisement
Flyfisha
Move the parents now. As you are working away from the tank for the next two days that’s fine, just get the adults away from the eggs.

Corydoras fry can find food in an established tank. Eating their first meal from a dirty sponge filter, pile of leaf litter, bunch of old plant material. Moss or even dirty gravel . Mulm etc.

Learning to culture Infusorea is good practice for other species but may not be necessary with corydoras? Especially in an established tank as there will be small amounts of Infusorea in the mulm and leaf litter. Seriously a dirty sponge filter is your best friend/ the fry’s first meal.

As you write of an aquaclear 20 as your filter that has no pre- filter that is a shame as the dirty pre filter would have been a first meal. Hopefully you have some old plant material? Moss maybe? A very dirty ornament or three?

Corydoras are not much harder to raise than BN pleco fry. A few will hopefully survive if you just get all adult fish out of the tank.

TClare
Also I would be inclined to remove the filter as the flow could be too strong for tiny fry even with a sponge. You could run a sponge filter with an air pump for a more gentle flow. You could keep the filter running on the other tank to keep it cycled.

Advertisement
Liv2011
Thank you all for your suggestions!
Unfortunately, as of yesterday morning, all the eggs got fungus. It’s disappointing, but I’m surprised, since these two fish have spawned twice before in this tank and the eggs all already had fungus by the time I saw them before.
I definitely recommend a sponge for the intake with any fry, if you want to give them a better chance of survival. Beyond that, i don't know much about the breeding habits pre and post hatching with cories as i have never kept them.
I’ll definitely pick up a sponge, then.
Move the parents now. As you are working away from the tank for the next two days that’s fine, just get the adults away from the eggs.

Corydoras fry can find food in an established tank. Eating their first meal from a dirty sponge filter, pile of leaf litter, bunch of old plant material. Moss or even dirty gravel . Mulm etc.

Learning to culture Infusorea is good practice for other species but may not be necessary with corydoras? Especially in an established tank as there will be small amounts of Infusorea in the mulm and leaf litter. Seriously a dirty sponge filter is your best friend/ the fry’s first meal.

As you write of an aquaclear 20 as your filter that has no pre- filter that is a shame as the dirty pre filter would have been a first meal. Hopefully you have some old plant material? Moss maybe? A very dirty ornament or three?

Corydoras are not much harder to raise than BN pleco fry. A few will hopefully survive if you just get all adult fish out of the tank.
If/when I get another spawn (given the history of these fish it’ll probably happen again, lol) I’ll separate the eggs and adults as soon as I see eggs.
The gravel in this tank is pretty dirty for only having two little fish in it, and I do have plenty of shed plant material I could use in the main tank, where there are a lot of live plants. This tank, being a QT, is pretty bare-minimum.
Also I would be inclined to remove the filter as the flow could be too strong for tiny fry even with a sponge. You could run a sponge filter with an air pump for a more gentle flow. You could keep the filter running on the other tank to keep it cycled.
I’ll look into sponge filters.

BigManAquatics
Can run an airstone on the eggs can help prevent fungus, supposed to kind of simulate a fish fanning the eggs with their tail. Also some people use methylthylene blue on the eggs to keep fungus at bay. I have had success with the airstone methid, never tried the meth blue personally

uncfan
Just for future reference what I always do is take the eggs off the glass they're really sticky and they're really tough so you won't hurt them. Put them into a mixing bowl. Dbol just helps water circulation when used with an air stone. Cover it so no light gets into the bowl that will also help prevent fungus. I use 1/2 gal mixing bowl from Dollar General but you can also use a milk jug with the top cut off.
I forgot if you do use methylene blue take a skewer dip it into the methylene blue just so about a half an inch of the skewer turns blue shake it off and run it through the water real quick one time that will put a very minor amount of methylene blue into the water. Wants the fish hatch over a period of about two days maybe three you want to do water changes to dilute the methylene blue.

Liv2011
Can run an airstone on the eggs can help prevent fungus, supposed to kind of simulate a fish fanning the eggs with their tail. Also some people use methylthylene blue on the eggs to keep fungus at bay. I have had success with the airstone methid, never tried the meth blue personally
I had an air stone a few inches away from the biggest clump of eggs.
I mean, it’s not the strongest air pump (I don’t even know what brand it is, let alone what size), so that could be part of why it didn’t stop the fungus.

Just for future reference what I always do is take the eggs off the glass they're really sticky and they're really tough so you won't hurt them. Put them into a mixing bowl. Dbol just helps water circulation when used with an air stone. Cover it so no light gets into the bowl that will also help prevent fungus. I use 1/2 gal mixing bowl from Dollar General but you can also use a milk jug with the top cut off.
I forgot if you do use methylene blue take a skewer dip it into the methylene blue just so about a half an inch of the skewer turns blue shake it off and run it through the water real quick one time that will put a very minor amount of methylene blue into the water. Wants the fish hatch over a period of about two days maybe three you want to do water changes to dilute the methylene blue.
To clarify, you’re suggesting adding methylene blue to the bowl with the eggs, right?
I might have to try that.

BigManAquatics
The airstone method you gotta put the airstone almost right on them, like a parents tail would be.

Flyfisha
Really BigManAquatics , I have never seen a corydoras fan eggs? Mine have put the eggs near the flow from the outflow of the hang on back filter a few times. But they seem to forget about any parental caring and eat the eggs 5 minutes later.

Meth blue is a poison Liv2011 and as mentioned by uncfan you just use a very small amount and start water changes to remove it as soon a fry appear.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
JuiceKong
Replies
Views
Tigerburp
Replies
Views