Bronze Cory Cats, Bare Bottom And Guava Leaves

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by BeeehndBlueEyes, Apr 11, 2017.

1. BeeehndBlueEyes

BeeehndBlueEyesNew MemberMember

Hello. I have 5 corys, one 4-1/2" albino bristlenose pleco and 3 glo fish in a 20L tank that just finished a 9 week cycle a few weeks ago. The water has been pretty stable since then. I have a bare bottom tank. I saw some pics of tanks with guava leaves on the bottom. Would it be ok for the corys and pleco if I put some leaves in the bottom of my tank? I would boil them first so some of the tannins come out.
    I saw the pics on Tannin Aquatics on FB.

BeeehndBlueEyes

2. Matthiasfanu

MatthiasfanuValued MemberMember

I could be wrong in my math here but isn't 20L equal to around 5 gallons??

3. GlamCrab

GlamCrabWell Known MemberMember

i saw some poeple here call a 20 gallon Long a 20L, maybe its the case here? because otherwise that would indeed be really small

4. Matthiasfanu

MatthiasfanuValued MemberMember

My thoughts exactly. Hoping it's a 20 long

5. OP
    OP
    BeeehndBlueEyes

Matthiasfanu - It means 20 gallons long.
    It is a 20 gal long.

You are correct. It is a 20 gal long.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2017
  6. BeanFish

BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

What are you afraid of? I think they will be fine.
    Are guava leafs a big business? Because I have a tree in my yard, maybe I will go millionare by selling them online :D

7. OP
    OP
    BeeehndBlueEyes

I just like the look of this tank with the leaves on the bottom and the pond fronds. I hope not to get the coloring though so I would boil the leaves first to get most of the tanins out.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  8. BeanFish

BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

It looks cool and your corys will probably not mind it, if something they will enjoy the cover the leafs give, kind of resembles their natural environment if we forget about the fact that it is bare bottom lol.

9. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

I don't know the effect of these leaves but my Venezuelans are in a tank with oak and beechleaves (I won't be a millionair). They love it. Learn to love tannins. Your fish do ![​IMG]

10. DoubleDutch

Why do you have a bare bottom btw ?

11. OP
    OP
    BeeehndBlueEyes

It's easier to keep clean. If I see a bit of dirt in the bottom, I can just suck that part out without doing a big cleaning job.
    I am partially disabled and the less water I have to carry, the better it is for my knee and back. I live in an apt. and I have no room for big hoses that are big enuf to go all the way from the tank to the faucet. I have some glass stones tossed around on the bottom. My corys are used to it. They grew up in a tank with two yellow bellied slider turtles and it's best not to have any substrate with them. They have a tendency to eat it. The turtles are now retired. They are living in a reptile park, tank free, in the sun.
    This is my little 20 gal

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  12. DoubleDutch

The leaves will decay though and leave smaller parts on the bottom, so you've to syphon again. Orrrrrrr you remove them early and swap them for new ones before decaying !!!

13. OP
    OP
    BeeehndBlueEyes

I would remove them early and replace them. Is there any other kind of leaf that I can put down there that might not discolor the water?

14. DoubleDutch

I'd try it first the way you planned to do. Maybe it isn't that bad.

15. OP
    OP
    BeeehndBlueEyes

T
    Thanks for your help. I will try boiling the leaves first.