Broken

1. BigAcp

BigAcp Initiate Member

I just found my brother in laws heater for a 10 gallon tank, it don't warm up anything I can do to try and fix it, or let it sit and wait to see if works, or just buy a new one?

2. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

What is the temperature of the water and what is the temperature the heater is set to?
    If it is actually broken, its best to replace it.

3. OP
    OP
    BigAcp

BigAcp Initiate Member

He's probably not used it in five years. So I didn't expect it to work. I don't have the money to get at the moment.

4. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

What is the temperature of the water and what is the temperature the heater is set to?

5. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

Turn the heater up all the way, if it doesn't turn on it's completely broken. Throw it in the trash and buy a new one.

FWIW, I've had a couple heaters that have failed that I've pulled apart. A couple Aquaone heaters I found each of them the heater element had broken. It's just a couple meters of thin nichrome wire, coiled up and run through a bunch of small glass cylinders. It looks like it flexes and shifts a little bit as it heats and cools and that eventually cuts through the wire on one of the sharp ends of the glass tubes.