Broken Tank: Can It Be Fixed?

1. Naivara

Naivara New Member Member

So I've been considering breeding my danios, and it all sounded great until I realized I might not have enough room for the babies :( A friend gave me their 10-20 gallon(I can't really tell)tank to use for my praying mantis babies, since they could't use the tank anymore for fish because there was a crack down one side, but the poor tiny things cooked in the summer heat when I left them at my friend's house while I went on vacation in two separate small bug catchers.

My question is, can I somehow patch up the crack in the tank wall and use it again as a fish tank? I'm kinda broke right now, and I really don't want to spend 50-100 dollars on a brand new one.

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Are you in the US? You can get a new 10 or 20 gal when Petco has their $1/gal sale, so it's only $10 or $20. I wouldn't trust a patch, and it'd be more expensive to replace the pane of glass than it would be to get a new tank.

You might be able to find a used tank even cheaper somewhere like Craigslist or through your local fish club.

3. OP
    OP
    Naivara

Wow I did not know about that. Thanks!

How would I patch it up if I were to

I don't live in the US, and I'd have to get it shipped over, defeating the purpose of the $1/gal deal

4. TexasDomer

I'd check for used tanks then. Patch jobs don't usually hold very long. You can google how to patch an aquarium for ideas.

5. OP
    OP
    Naivara

Okay. Searching Craigslist now....

6. TexasDomer

Craigslist is a US thing. Where are you located?

7. OP
    OP
    Naivara

BC

I could take a road trip and drive across the border to the Petco in Bellingham, but I'm too lazy for that. And the gas would add to the cost too.

Craigslist works for Canada too.

8. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

Don't know if you have Walmart up there but they have 10 gal. for 14.99

9. OP
    OP
    Naivara

Wow I did not know Walmart sold tanks. The cheapest one I found was $45, with all the equipment and stuff. The brand was Tetra. Trustworthy or not? I did find a tank selling for 14.99 though: a 1 gallon Finding Dory Starter Kit.

Mmm no good I checked the reviews. Darn

10. shiv234

shiv234 Well Known Member Member

can i see a picture of the crack. Some cracks are patchable and some are not

11. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I would caution on the side of patching a tank. The insurance side of me would say the risk is higher for leaks. Think about damages to your property and other people property if any.

Perhaps you should see if you have any friends coming up to BC and see if they can bring the tank to you.

12. OP
    OP
    Naivara

When I run a finger across the crack I don't feel any difference.

Yeah, I don't think re-using it is a good idea.

13. TexasDomer

You can't feel the crack on either side of the glass? Are you sure it's not a scratch then?

14. OP
    OP
    Naivara

I can see it. I don't know if you can see it there in the picture, it's on the right side of the tank slanting down diagonally to the left.

My phone has a terrible camera

Attached Files:

15. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231 Well Known Member Member

Hey, if you need help with figuring out the gallon size of your tank. Here is a video.

16. OP
    OP
    Naivara

Thank you so much! I will measure my tank now, if I can find the measuring tape.

17. Triston Wasmund

Triston Wasmund Well Known Member Member

A 1 gallon is way to small for ANY fish. Buy at least a 10 gallon

18. OP
    OP
    Naivara

I wasn't planning on using a one gallon! The smallest tank I have is a 2.5 gallon. Thank you for your concern though!