Broken protein skimmer

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a skimmer similar in design to the attached picture. It is made mostly of PVC piping. Now, my problem is that one piece broke off. The output pipe broke off where the "Pe" are on the picture. It is a perpendicular connection which means that there is very little surface area where it is attached. Basically it is the end of the pipe - about 1/8 inch to the base of the unit. I have used PVC glue three times on it and still, the littlest jostle breaks it.

It appears that I'll need to reinforce this somehow. I've thought of using some sort of shoe for it where I can glue a larger surface area to the base and then fit the tube down in there, sealing it properly to the shoe rather than to the base. Perhaps I'll even use some solder after it's glued in to strengthen it.

Any other suggestions? I know it's a bad description of what the problem is.

Attachments

AwNuts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
maybe you should re-engineer it by cutting the piping from top to bottom and installing a new pvc pipe that you know it will stay secure. If not you can go into the manufacture website and order that complete piping side and get your fix.

just my :

AwNuts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
think of it as a sprinkler pvc piping system. you locate the problem, make proper cutting, insert couplings/elbow with pipe add glue and walllaaa your system is flowing again lol.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
you need to use plexi glass glue only to re seal problem nothing else will not adheire to the plastic or take it to a plexiglass shop and they should be able to repair it for you. The repair should not cost much. There are no other glues that will work!

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'd think since it's pvc piping that the pvc glue would work. In any event, I don't think glue itself is going to work. The contact area is too small. It's like gluing a flagpole to the ground. One bump and it falls over.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Can you take a picture of the area? If I could see it I would be able to help you more.

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I got some regular plumbing glue that is exceptionally strong. First I glued the part in place with the PVC glue. Then after a little while to dry I wrapped some plumbing tape around the area. After that I used the plumbing glue to add more strength to the connection and to seal in the tape. So far/so good.

I meant to take a picture for you, Stang - but I completely forgot. If this doesn't work I'll try to remember to take one next time.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good job if it holds that's good but just keep an eye on it most likely it will start leaking again pvc is for sort plastic for Pvc Cpvc and abs not hard plastics such as plexi. Good luck!! If it does strart o leak send a pic so I can gide you for a permanant seal.!!!!

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Will do - thanks.

I got this skimmer 2nd hand and have a little extra cash this month. I may just decide to get a new one. The ones on the market today are way better than this one.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you spring for one you will be better off it would suck to come home and see tank empty and water all over the floor!!! Not a good thing!!!

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Been there. The hose from the overflow came loose one night. Woke up the next morning with a flood in the basement. Luckily the tank is over the laundry room or it would have been quite costly. Worst part was that I didn't have any new Saltwater ready so I had to put it in without maturing. The snails were NOT happy.

Thanks to $1500 in car repairs the new skimmer will have to wait. It's actually been working pretty well so far.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
sorry to here that!! When you are ready to buy a Red Sea skimmer They are the best skimmer that is well worth the money they are very well built and do an awsome job!!! I have started in 1986 and still to this day works so good and have never had to change it out but the skimmers they have today are very well built just keep that in mind!!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads