Broken Heater, Kuhlis On Side

Ozzy

My heater for my tank recently broke I haven't been able to buy one , I found one of my kuhlis on his side. I attempted to net him but he ran away to a hide. I keep up with water changes, they get enough food the only thing that could possibly be wrong is the lack of a heater. It's freezing cold out here. I have a critter keeper and a betta heater, should I try to move them until I get my hands on a new heater ?

badrad

Getting a new heater quickly is the best option. Depending on the water conditions of the critter keeper, if the fish has already started to exhibit some problems due to the colder water, it's immune system could be compromised, and moving to another tank could cause more problems. If you can't get another water heater quickly you could manually add small portions of warm water and if it's possible to raise the temperature in the room - put an insulator (maybe a blanket) over the tank and provide some heating to the tank itself to keep the ambient temperature warmer.
Speaking to this, just yesterday I lost one of my 5 year old bala shark and a 4 year old blood parrot. This is due to a damaged water heater in the tank, which happened while I was away last week. My daughter had been feeding all the tanks daily, but did not notice the temperature drop in this one tank. When I got home she did say that these two appeared lethargic compared to the other companions in the tank. And that's when I noticed the temperature was way down. I spent a day to slowly raise the tank temp back up, but these 2 already started showing some difficulties, and they died shortly.

Ozzy

I'm so sorry to hear about your fish I'll get to work on replacing water and move a heater into the fish room. The best I can do is get a subpar heater tomorrow. It's only 100 watts and is gonna be used for a 30 g but a little heat is better than no heat. I wish heaters weren't so finicky!

badrad

Good! For emergency purposes any heater will do as long as it can keep a proper temperature setting. What I am really upset with is that I have a lot of extra heaters just sitting around in my equipment pile, and I was considering to replace that heater a couple months ago. So I am still beating myself up since the deaths were avoidable if I had just taken my own advice and replace when I could have. Losing fish is like losing a friend.

Ozzy

Update on the situation. I wasn't able to get a new heater, I had no choice but to move my tropicals next to our wood burning stove until this cold lets up. They've been doing fine so far, I'll be keeping a close eye on them until further notice

Edit: I'd like to add that I placed the betta heater in there too. My bettas are currently sharing a divided 5 gallon and are sharing a heater

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
micahweaver
  • Question
Replies
Views
ItzShrimpInaBag
  • Question
Replies
Views
BigB322