Broken Heater-HELP

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
I was checking my water and noticed that the heater in Benji's tank is broken. The glass at the bottom was completely broke off and the heater was flashing on and off. I removed it and threw it away but I also had 3 dead otos and one dead platy in the tank. BenjI and the other platy seem fine, but I'm worried that I shouldn't leave BenjI or Polly in the tank. I don't know where to put them though as I have no heater in my QT yet. Do I need to restart the entire tank after a through cleaning? Why would a broken heater kill my fish?

CherryRose

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Can you tell me the brand name and model of the heater? It should have been under a warranty and you could probably have turned it in for another one if you have the ticket or if it was one of the ones with a long warranty. Was it GLASS? If so then maybe some of the glass got on the gravel and the otos devoured it. Or was there some part of the heater that was exposed that could have maybe burned the fish? I am having a little trouble seeing the heater as I have never seen a glass one. Yes the other fish need to come out of the tank as you do not know if the heater broke some slivers off that could hurt the two little ones. They can live in an unheated tank for a day until you can find another heater. The filter will not like it but it will be okay as long as it is not turned off and out of the water for more than 20 - 30 minutes. You will at most have a mini-cycle when you start out but you will not start over entirely. I would get rid of the gravel unless you are positive that there is no glass in it.

I am sorry I do not have anymore answers for you. I am so sorry that you are having such rotten luck. Why do these things always happen on the weekends when there is not anyone around?

Please keep us informed on the progress but other than having a divider to put in another tank I do not have an answer for you.

Rose

OP
C

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
This is so hard. I loved my fish and to lose 4 of them all at once like that.... Yes the heater was glass. About 2 inches broke off the bottom leaving the heater coils exposed. Looking at the broken glass it is possible that some of the glass shattered into the tank. *sigh* I guess I have my work cut out for me this evening. Do you think that I could save some of the gravel that is in the front of the tank and a long ways away from the heater? I don't see how it could have shattered that far since the water should have slowed it down.

CherryRose

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am so sorry about your fish. I cry like crazy when I lose one, to lose 4 at once.... :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I think that you could probably save the part that was a distance from the heater...I just wouldn't use anything that is within a short distance.  In a tank that big though I would say that most of it could probably be saved since you would probably know about how far to discard.  It is okay, I am just so sorry that this happened..  This night has been the pits all over the place..

I would help if I were closer... ...wanna call me a cab?

Rose

OP
C

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
That would be nice, but very expensive. You did make me smile though. Fish are supposed to be good therapy for me, but at the moment, I think not. I just hope BenjI and Polly remain healthy. They are now safe in the QT, with no heat. I can't get a heater until Tuesday, when I can get to Petco, since my LFS is not open until the end of the month.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think they will be okay. Are you going to be able to keep the filter running? When BenjI and Polly go back to their home just watch for signs of any cool water problem that they may have developed...but we will deal with the problem when we see it. Those kinds of things we know how to handle.

Once again, my sympathies are sent to you. I cannot imagine a harder day. If I can do anything please do not hesitate to ask.

Rose
:'(

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am so sorry about your fish. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
I wonder what happened to them. Could it be that the heater gave them an electric shock when it broke? Maybe just strong enough to kill the more delicate ones but not all the fish? Yeah probably not...
If you can find one I'd recommend a Marineland Stealth heater. They have a lifetime warranty and they work really well...and they're not glass. That's awful yours broke...I've never heard of a heater doing that.
Let us know how BenjI and Polly are doing.

OP
C

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
Thank you Chickadee.  I know that Phloxface is also going through a rough time now, and my heart goes out to her.

Yes, I have that ugly filter that wants to float, in the QT with BenjI and Polly.  I may have to put Polly in a different tank though.  BenjI seems to be blaming her for the move, or else he doesn't like to be in such close quarters with her.  He keeps chasing her and there's no place for her to go.  

My husband told me that I am not to save any of the gravel.  He wants me to get new gravel instead.  He worries about my emotional state and doesn't want me to take any chances.  It really helps to know that so many others care so much.

I wish I knew what happened Omorrokh. I can't make any sense of it. Maybe the ones that died bumped into the broken heater and got hurt. I do see my otos go up to the heaters in their tanks and clean them up a little. Its so hard to say what actually killed them.

CherryRose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Now that you mention it I see my Otos on my heater a lot. Maybe they like the warmth. I suppose the heater could have hurt them.

Anyway, once again I'm so sorry about your losses and I hope your remaining fishies do ok.

OP
C

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
Thanks again, Omorrokh.

I am acclimating Polly to Belle's tank because I was afraid Polly wouldn't make it with BenjI picking on her in my little 2.5 gallon. Once she is acclimated, I will release her and turn out the lights, hoping that they will go to sleep.

CherryRose

shollia

Reaction score
Awww, I'm so sorry to hear about your fishies
I hope Polly and Belle are going to be ok.

If I were in your shoes, I'd think about getting rid of all the gravel. I'd just be too paranoid that tiny shards made it across the tank and hiding.

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
Cherryrose,

So sorry to read about your losing your four fish.  Losing one is bad enough.  I hope the others will be okay.

I had a glass heater a long time ago.  It was a pain to keep properly positioned and often would bang up against the side of the tank.  Luckily mine never broke.

It's hard to say what caused the injuries to your fish.  But it seems sensible to change all of the gravel.  I suspect that slivers of glass can float through the water like leaves fall through the air.  The water won't slow them, per se, but keep them suspended longer allowing them to end up in areas of the tank you might not expect them to land. 

We bought a Marineland Visi-Stealth heater from PetSmart, PetCo didn't have any (either they were out of stock, or don't carry them).  The heater we did get from PetCo was no good.  May I suggest that you try to verify that the new heater works before leaving the store.  Guarantees are nice, but you've been through enough without having to keep going back and forth to get a functioning  heater.

We wish you good luck getting your aquarium back together.  And we offer our thoughts and prayers to you and the four fish you lost.

Mike

AesSedai

Reaction score
Man, so many lil ones have left in such a short time.

((CherryRose)) I feel for you so much.

Last night death was alive and well, even here. I lost my husband to cancer 3/17/04 and was going through the boxes of his things last night and crying.

Last night was just horrible and I wasn't alone it seems. (((Phloxface and you)))

Death just sucks so much.

Ya know, that we grieve so much for our loved ones, finned or not, says a lot about us. WE CARE SO MUCH. That's a GOOD thing, a beautiful thing.

You're beautiful.

You care and it is right. The suffering is testament to your/our hearts and I am soo proud.

Namaste

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think instead of Phloxface we are talking about Natalie losing Mr. Red. Phloxface has a little sick girl and now CherryRose has lost 4 fish and her little ones are confused and unhappy because they do not understand what happened. Oh, gosh what a night it was.

I am glad you decided (or your husband did) not to save any gravel. I thought it might work with the size of your tank but just to be safe, I think you are doing the right thing..

It always heartens me to see the way this Board pulls together.. you were all there for each other immediately and it makes me very proud to know each of you. Even those having troubles of their own helped with the others in trouble. You are such a fine group of people, I am proud to know each and every one of you.

Rose

AesSedai

Reaction score
Oh god yes....Natalie and Mr. Red. I knew that too, absolutely. I'm sorry. <sigh> I'm soo tired, didn't sleep much. TY ((Rose)) for helping me clear that up. I know too it's Karma, the lil girl Phloxface rescued for the 50 some odd degree water, that isn't well.

I am soo proud of everyone here as well and feel so privileged to be a part of this incredible forum with the incredible people here.

(((Everyone)))

OP
C

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
Hello everyone, and thank you so much for all of your encouraging comments.  BenjI is doing fine in the quarantine tank, and Polly is getting along great with Belle.  I just now got home after working all day then going to a doctor's appointment.  So far there don't seem to be any problems with either one of my 2 fish that survived.  Tomorrow I have to go with my husband for a DR. appointment, so I will be getting new gravel and a new heater for the tank at PetSmart.

It has been so hard for so many of us on this forum lately.  I sure hope we are finished with the disasters.  This is a wonderful group of caring individuals.  All I can say is a warm and grateful thank you to all for your support. I will keep you updated on the progress of my little ones as well as on the restart of the tank.

CherryRose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm so glad BenjI and Polly are doing well. Keep us updated.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, we are so glad to get some really good news. It has indeed been a challenge for this board of folks the last little while.

Rose

OP
C

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
Just wanted to let you all know that BenjI and Polly still seem to be fine.  Benji, as well as Polly and Pepper, the only platies I have left, are now back in the ten gallon tank with a new heater and new gravel.  I put Pepper in there, from the tank he was in with Bessie, as I felt it would be best to add him at the same time. About 4 gallons of water from the old tank was put back into it and I added new water for the rest.  I have the same filter in there as was there before, so it is a cycled filtered.  I also put some of the old gravel in some cheese cloth and put it into the tank.  I'm not sure how the cycling will go, so do not know if I can expect any spikes or not.  I will keep an eye on the water parameters and let you know how it goes.  Am I doing everything right?  If I forgot something, please let me know.

CherryRose

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
It's nice to see you've got your tank back up and running, cherryrose.  It's really sad, though, that you lost four fish due to a broken part.

I hope the cycling goes well.  If your water parameters start to get out of whack and you can catch Drs. Foster and Smith at the right time of the week, there's always Bio-Spira.

Mike

New Threads