Broken airstone

Discussion in 'Air Pumps' started by bassbonediva, Mar 25, 2010.

1. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

I went to remove the airstone from one of my air pumps the other day (nothing wrong with it, was just going to try out a new bubble wand my friend bought) and the airstone broke. :;dk It broke right under the neck/black part that attaches to the air line. It was a relatively clean break and the main part of the stone that broke off is still intact. I need to make a DIY sponge filter in the next couple of days and really don't want to buy another airstone if this one is fixable (it's not the money since they're $.99, it's just I don't want to have to make a trip to town to get an airstone 'cuz the only place that sells them is 15 miles away). Can I silicone the pieces of the airstone back together and it still work?:;thx

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Hummm.... reckon the silicone would stop the airstone up? I guess the only way to know is to try it :)
    carol

3. OP
    OP
    bassbonediva

Yeah, I'll just have to try, I guess. I'm thinking it might not stop up the airstone because the black tube/neck thing extends all the way down into the stone and I'm pretty sure the end of that tube is where the air comes out...I think. :p

4. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Let us know how it works out please :)
    Carol

5. OP
    OP
    bassbonediva

Yeah, just so everyone knows...this FAILS! lol I let the silicone cure for a little over 24 hours, then tried it out and the piece that was broken just shot off the end. Oh, well. $.99 for a new air stone isn't too bad and I ended up needing to go to town/Petsmart anyway, so no harm done.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice