Help Broken Airconditoner! Oh no!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackie Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi Gang! I know I haven't checked in for a while but that was only because everything was going swimingly well in my fish tank. All the occupants were happy and healthy until the airconditoner broke Sunday Afternoon!!! I didn't realize it until I came home this evening and hot air blasted my face when I opened my front door.

My tank temperature is now 82 degress and flirting with 84 !!! It's about 85 degrees in my house right now! I called maintainace and they can't do anything about it until 10AM tommorrow morning at the earliest! In the mean time how do I help my poor platy, one cory, three tetras and my apple snail? They're used to a steady temperature of 80 degrees? So far I dumped twelve ice cubes in a plastic bag, added some Prime (in case of a leak) and put that in the tank ...that seemed to have helped somewhat. We're closer now to 82 then 84 ...but that's still much warmer then they're used too.

Will this damage my fish somehow? Can they survive the heat wave (which will last at the bare minimum twelve hours? Please respond. I know they're just fish, but I love those guys.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Jackie, sorry to hear about the A/C.

My first piece of advice, don't panic. Your fish will be fine.

Temperature fluctuations occur naturally in the wild all the time, and your fish will adapt and can tolerate temperatures up to 86 with no real side effects.

As long as the increases and decreases occur naturally, and over time, your fish probably won't even notice. If it gets to 86ish, they may become a little lethargic, but they'll be fine.

Hope this helps.

OP
J

Jackie Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you for your quick response. I feel much better now! So they can manage the temperature flucuation? Great! Maybe I shouldn't even bother with the ice cubes?

At any rate I can sleep now. Thanks! You put my mind at ease Ryan.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Personally, I wouldn't bother with the ice, it'll just swing the temperatures faster and more often.

If you are really concerned, you could turn the lights off, that way heat from the lights won't impact on the water, and or lift the hood (if it has one) a little bit to allow the hot air out. (Don't lift the whole way, as fish might choose to try and escape )

But like I say, if it were me, I'd just let it be. The temp will come back down over time.

Also - there's no need to change your heater setting. Your heater will just wait for the temp to drop down again before it comes on (thermostatically controlled).

Oh, and to help put your mind further at ease, quite often temperature changes are required to induce breeding/spawning (lol), so yes, your fish will be just fine

OP
J

Jackie Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Just as a little post script my air conditioning has been broken for two full weeks now! The managment comes in, fixes it and it breaks the next day. Then the managment comes in, fixes it ...you know the pattern. Finally they decided to remove the entire air conditioning unit and install a new one! That little job took five hours to complete, but I was so happy. Finally I can reduce the temperature in my house to below 85 degrees. They replaced the conditioner yesterday. Guess what happened today folks!

I'm so frusturated I feel like screaming! The good news is that the fish seem to be coping with it well. The snail is a lot more active then usual. That was the only change in behavior that I could see. I guess we all can survive the heat wave a little bit longer ...but boy is this driving me crazy

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ugh! I'm sorry, what a mess!

I see you got some great responses from before, but this is a good article:

pumpknmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Glad to have found this thread. I have this problem too, today. My tank is up to 82 degrees due to a heat wave. We just put in a room air conditioner tonight where the tank is. Funny thing, the temp has gone up, from 81 to 82 since we installed it. The heater has not gone on, and I did a 10% water change with cooler water.

My poor cories are the victims. I had 4 to start with, 2 died due to unknown circumstance, and I just lost a third one tonight- probably because it's too hot. I'm down to one cory- it's probably lonely but I hope it holds on. My guppies are doing great though.

Hopefully my tank water will get cooler as the room cools down.

OP
J

Jackie Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm sorry. I've been through it myself. (My tank temp actually rose to 86 degrees at it's warmest!:-\) I can tell you that all my fish survived those temps for two weeks. (Though my platy became sick temporairily.) Hope that gives you hope and good luck.

striker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I live in a place where there is no AC and I have some guppies that have survived the los angeles heat waves. Just make sure to add a fan blowing on the surface of the water for better gas exchange.

Cyclone99

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have the same problem. I normally keep my 75 gallon tank in the mid 70s. The AC went out yesterday and now it's up to 83. But I guess I won't worry for now, unless it gets above 85.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • No

Votes: 11 9.9%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 66.7%

Top Bottom