Broken AC

KribensisLover1

Hello!
So I have an ac 50 on my 30 gallon with five labs and 18 pristella tetras. My filter broke and I’ve been away for ten days. It was still dripping water but not running fully

Anyway my favorite lab is now like black. Seriously. I emptied filled emptied filled the water and now have the lights off and they weren’t eating. I can see that two young ones are perfectly yellow and tetras are fine but the large lab is grey seriously

What to do? Just water changes galore?

Betta'sAnonymous

New filter and water changes. Who knows how long it hasn't been working for. So yeah, probably got a decent ammonia spike or something.

StarGirl

If water was still going through somewhat you may still have some bacteria hanging on in there. I would get the new filter and put the old media in it to start, and see where your numbers take you. Have you tested the water yet?

KribensisLover1

No—Bc my test kit is not at that house. Plus honestly I was frightened to. The filter does work I just had to clean the impeller. Ugh. And yes the filter media DEF stayed wet so that’s good. I hadn’t even thought of that. The fish aren’t eating—so the new young ones are actually still bright yellow. It’s the older one (1.5 years) that is grey and hiding. I was wondering why the tetras looked fat. What really stinks is I was feeding 1 every other day and then had young fish so was doing twice a day. The older lab could make it still right?
The same thing happened to my ac in my 40 breeder but I had another one running. It’s very odd. The motor still is running but the water is dripping like maybe five drops across probably from gravity. The filter still is full of water. Very bizarre. I wouldn’t have realized it was broken or messed up had I not seen the one in my 40 breeder and messed with it until it was full flow. The sound is very similar it’s truly just the water flow.
Thank you both so much! StarGirl Betta'sAnonymous

StarGirl

I dont know anything about cichlids so I cant help you there. Those Aquaclears seem to be famous for not re starting after a power outage. Maybe that happened?

Betta'sAnonymous

Doesn't take much to jam up an impeller. I used to have to clean ours twice a month when my wife did the water changes, always ended up with a strand or two of hair wrapped around it

KribensisLover1

StarGirl said:
I dont know anything about cichlids so I cant help you there. Those Aquaclears seem to be famous for not re starting after a power outage. Maybe that happened?
Betta'sAnonymous thank you guys so much. I’ll keep you posted.

Pfrozen

My small 20g AC does that, I just kind of hit the impeller area with my hand a few times and it starts up again. Classic Dad move, give it a try

KribensisLover1

Pfrozen said:
My small 20g AC does that, I just kind of hit the impeller area with my hand a few times and it starts up again. Classic Dad move, give it a try
Yes that does work actually yet this one has been to point twice where I had to take off and clean impeller. It used to work to hit it. What parts do I need to clean?

Pfrozen

KribensisLover1 said:
Yes that does work actually yet this one has been to point twice where I had to take off and clean impeller. It used to work to hit it. What parts do I need to clean?
Just the impeller, I clean mine every 2 or 3 weeks at this point to keep it running. Also helps to rinse all the media in tank water or dechlorinated tap water

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom