Broke Tank Hood - No Idea Where To Put This Thread

GraysonsTank

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sooooo. . .was doing a water change and stepped on my bowfront glass cover for the 38 gal tank.
Tank dimensions are 17.125D x32.25W x25.719H.
Looking for recommendations on best place to get a replacement?
I've tried googling Marineland 38gal bowfront tank cover and am not confident in my results.

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You talking about the glass front flap part? Trace the opening with cardboard and get some acrylic

BillCNC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You talking about the glass front flap part? Trace the opening with cardboard and get some acrylic
Acrylic is good, but only for small window's. Even on a 10 gal tank it will bow down and even more so with heat from the lighting. You will need to constantly flip the acrylic.

You could use just glass. I use broken tank's to get most of my glass need's and I get them for free. You could go to home depot and look at pieces of louvered glass or get one cut to size. Glass cutter's are cheap if you go the DIY method. You could even use Aquarium Silicon or GE#1 to make the living hinge if needed.

Regards
Bill

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Acrylic is good, but only for small window's. Even on a 10 gal tank it will bow down and even more so with heat from the lighting. You will need to constantly flip the acrylic.

You could use just glass. I use broken tank's to get most of my glass need's and I get them for free. You could go to home depot and look at pieces of louvered glass or get one cut to size. Glass cutter's are cheap if you go the DIY method. You could even use Aquarium Silicon or GE#1 to make the living hinge if needed.

Regards
Bill
The bowing is a function of material thickness and length. In a 10 gallon youll be fine unless you use some really thin stuff. You use decent thickness and say some frosted or textured and no problem. Also it sounds like its just the curved front piece.

Nobote

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree, 7/16ths thickness lexan or plexiglass wont bow on a medium sized aquarium top.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom