Broke In-take Tube, What Other Options Do I Have?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Bleu, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Bleu

Bleu Valued Member Member

I own a Cleair Aquatic 40/50 Gallon... I accidentally broke my in-take tube. (A very long acrylic tube that brings the water up to the pump.)

This isn't the tank I have, as mine is larger, and wide, and not this shape. But, I circled the piece I am talking about, aka, the long clear tube in this photo, the tube goes all the way to the bottom (gravel/sand.)

So the question is, could I use any filter (literally, any.) To substitute this? I cannot find a long enough tube that fits into the pump, ever since I broke the original. Because of this.. I cannot set-up the tank, which is a bit frustrating, and upsetting.

Any ideas? .. Or would I need that specific piece. I tried contacting the company.. It's hard to get a replacement, and ignore my questions when I ask if they could ship it, etc.

I do have the tube still... Which snapped in half, I could by silicone to maybe put it together.. But, would it be harmful, what silicone would I need exactly...

Thanks, any help would be majorly appreciated.. I'm dying to get this tank up in running -- as last time it was incredibly successful (for over a year, when I had it running, with fancies goldfish!)

Attached Files:

• Broke In-take Tube, What Other Options Do I Have?
      BL.jpg
      File size:
      619 KB
      Views:
  2. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

They do sell silicone type stuff especially made for tanks. It even says it drys faster in water than it does when dry. I think it would be easier to look for replacement parts though. I would search eBay for one or possible just give up on that filter and buy a sponge filter. You can get really good sponge filters for almost nothing and they last forever. Give them a squeeze in old tank water and they are good as new for years. I just got one on amazon called Lustar Hydro. I can't wait for it to get here. I have heard nothing but good things and it was only around 15.00 which is actually fairly pricey for a sponge filter lol. You can probably get one on eBay for a couple of dollars.

3. OP
    OP
    Bleu

Oh, I don't mind getting a sponge filter, I am just worried, like do I need a really long tube to the bottom, in-order to properly filter the tank, or would any filter do? I was looking at some Fluval Filters.....

Maybe this one?  

But the 60 Gallon version (so it'd be stronger.)

I'm just not sure, like would it even work, since the tank is super tall?

I tried looking at Ebay .. But it's hard to find the right dimensions :( -- most of the sizes don't fit either, the tube is either too large, short, or way too tiny :(

4. Kellye8498

My intake tube is only about half way to the bottom. I have very clear water and my filter is always packed with gunk when I swish it on water change days so it appears to do an amazing job. I don't like tubes that go to the bottom. You will get the gunk from the bottom with a gravel vac anyway on water changes. No need to try to get the filter intake to suck the rocks clean. It wouldn't work that way anyway.

5. Kellye8498

I have an Aqueon QuietFlow 50 on my 36 Gallon bow front tank. It works very well. It also self primes so I don't have to worry about the motor burning out if there is a power outage and I'm not home to prime it myself.

6. OP
    OP
    Bleu

Oh, interesting, this is super helpful. Yeah, I don't care about the gunk on the bottom, I just thought if I were to get a regular filter, e.g like the underwater Fluval, or like one you recommended for e.g that the filter wouldn't catch anything at all, because, the tank is so tall. It's so tall, that I can't even reach it with a gravel vacuum, when doing water changes ... Lmao.. :):playful:

So, I was worried and panicking, assuming I MUST need a long tube to be at the bottom, that brings the water all the way to the top.

I wanted to put sand and the bottom, the pump was so strong, that over time it sucked up almost ALL of my sand, and I have no clue what the happened to the sand, after it sucked it up.. It had over 10 pounds of sand in it too!

So, my cories and pleco (at the time) were stuck with a blue bare bottom.

So, basically, if I were to get any filter, it doesn't matter if it's a long tube... It can be a regular filter? And doesn't need to go all the way at the bottom, because it will still collect what it's suppose to :)??

7. Kellye8498

The sand will all get sucked into the filter if the tube is too close to the substrate too. My betta tank had that problem at one time unfortunately lol. You can use anything you want to filter within reason and be fine though. :)

8. Kellye8498

The flow into the tank keeps the water moving which means it's all going all around the tank so it will all eventually cycle through the filter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice