Broke AC - 100 Degrees

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
Renter's Woes!

Last summer, we had a problem with the AC freezing up. We had the AC guy out 4 times, and each time he recharged the AC. Her said there was a leak, but the UV dye didn't show up anywhere. This past April we had a heat spell (100 degree days), and it froze up after about 1.5 hours. We called him out again. He recharged it, again, and told the landlord that he needed to pressure test it to see where the leak was, and would have to replace that segment of tubing. He came out about two weeks ago, and isolated the two sides and pressurized them to see which side was leaking. That was ok, we were having a cool spell with daytime temps barely hitting 70. His test showed the leak was in the high pressure side. Fast forward 2 weeks, and the landlord wants him to test it again. He was out again yesterday, and cut and capped the high and low pressure sides, and the coils themselves. He pressurized them to 300 PSI, and will be out again today to see which one is leaking.

Now, the gripe...Since Monday, it's been at or near 100 degrees every day, and we have today and tomorrow, before it drops down to mid to high 80s. Without AC, my bedroom runs 90+ during the day, and about 85 at night. Yesterday I put the portable swamp cooler in the doorway between my bedroom and the attached bathroom. It's keeping the temp at about 82, but mercy! the humidity!!!!! Step into my bedroom, and it's like a Louisiana swamp :eek:. I just hope they can get it fixed before summer gets here :)

kanzekatores

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh no! That sounds like a mess :confused:
It's been getting hot here and I often take refuge in the basement. Heat has a natural tendency to float up so the lower parts of your house should be cooler.
If you have cooler nights, you could run the fans, balanced on windows, blowing in air from outside during the evening, then close all doors and windows in the morning. It traps in the coolness :)
Just a few things I thought of when I saw this thread. I hope your AC gets fixed

BassKase

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The heat's been hitting good this week. I'm over in Pinon Hills on the SB County side of the county line, and we're hitting over 90 today. Take advantage of the cool desert nights for sure. At least there's going to be a drop again next week to give some reprieve.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BassKase said:
The heat's been hitting good this week. I'm over in Pinon Hills on the SB County side of the county line, and we're hitting over 90 today. Take advantage of the cool desert nights for sure. At least there's going to be a drop again next week to give some reprieve.
Those "cool desert nights" must be nice. I live in southeast Texas. We get the heat and humidity, but without the big cool-down at night. We go weeks where the temperature never gets below 80°.

faydout

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The snow line was down to about 9,000 ft over the weekend, and they just opened a ski hill for spring skiing today. We'll hit 80 in Denver today, but the fresh snow is only about 45 minutes west of downtown.

All kidding aside, my bedroom faces west and heats up in the afternoons more than the central air can keep up with, so we keep a portable a/c in our room to cool it off after work. Also the room my tank is in.

BassKase

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
JettsPapa said:
Those "cool desert nights" must be nice. I live in southeast Texas. We get the heat and humidity, but without the big cool-down at night. We go weeks where the temperature never gets below 80°.
I definitely don't envy you. The lack of humidity and elevation help a lot. I'm at about 4000 ft where I'm at.

OP
Mongo75

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
BassKase said:
I definitely don't envy you. The lack of humidity and elevation help a lot. I'm at about 4000 ft where I'm at.
What lack of humidity, lol. With the swamp cooler, the humidity in my room is about 75%. I know, not like the east or Gulf coast, but still high, when the outside humidity is <20%.

To make matters worse, I've been in the garage all day, where it's been over 100, and just a fan for cooling, working on a DIY heater controller. Luckily, it's on the southeast side of the house, not the west.

JettsPapa said:
According to my El Cheapo Home Depot indoor/outdoor thermometer, today's high was 98, last night's low was 74. Not as cool as I would like to see it overnight.

I grew up in Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida, and can sympathize with anyone living in those 90 degree/90% humidity states. I can remember trying to dry off after a shower, and just couldn't, the humidity was so high. When I was 19, I took Basic Training and half of my schooling at Fort Jackson, SC from August to November, and It was miserable to this kid that had been living in southern California for the past 8 years. I was totally acclimated to 30-50% humidity and occasionally temps over 90. But honestly, If my son could get work in his field, in Texas, he,his family, and I, would all be packing out bags :).

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mongo75 said:
. . . When I was 19, I took Basic Training and half of my schooling at Fort Jackson, SC from August to November, and It was miserable to this kid that had been living in southern California for the past 8 years. I was totally acclimated to 30-50% humidity and occasionally temps over 90. But honestly, If my son could get work in his field, in Texas, he,his family, and I, would all be packing out bags :).
One summer about 20 years ago I was working in North Dakota, and one of my co-workers was a young lady who had one more year of high school, but had pre-enlisted (Air Force I believe), and was to report for basic training in San Antonio the following June. She had spent her whole life in North Dakota. I've often wondered how that worked for her.

Debbie1986

Well Known
Reaction score
Georgia literally is a swamp. I feel your pain OP. My AC is 8 years old & I hope no issues this season. Parts are under warranty, but labor is not. :(

ceiling fans & taking showers at night before bed helps.

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
We had a big storm a week or so ago that took a bunch of our trees, one that took out our AC. Especially since it’s been raining a lot too the humidity here is ridiculous.

OP
Mongo75

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
At least here in the desert, swamp coolers are an option :). Once humidity get to about 30%, they get less efficient, and above 50% or 60%, they're pretty much useless.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mongo75 said:
At least here in the desert, swamp coolers are an option :). Once humidity get to about 30%, they get less efficient, and above 50% or 60%, they're pretty much useless.
So you're saying I shouldn't rush right out and get one?

1590676798377.png

OP
Mongo75

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
JettsPapa said:
So you're saying I shouldn't rush right out and get one?

1590676798377.png
EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING
ISSUED: 5:10 AM MAY. 28, 2020 – NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE
...EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM PDT THIS
EVENING...

* WHAT...Dangerously hot conditions with temperatures of 100 to
105 degrees is expected.

* WHERE...Antelope Valley.

* WHEN...Until 7 PM PDT this evening.

* IMPACTS...Extreme heat will significantly increase the potential
for heat related illnesses, particularly for those working or
participating in outdoor activities.

Right now, it's 75 degrees and 30% humidity

OP
Mongo75

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
erinw347 said:
Ok, I'll give you the humidity, 98% is hard to compete with :). Hopefully it'll drop as the day burns some of it off, but with a 40% chance of rain, that's not very likely. What I find funny, is your Heat Index. Ours is 10. Hot, dry, and not a cloud to be seen :).

WrenFeenix

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It was a scorching 86F in NE Ohio yesterday. It was obvious everyone in town turned on their AC, because there was a brown-out for most of the evening, so no one had AC. I have a generator because the power grid where I live has frequent brown-outs, but the AC unit is not hooked up to it. Oh, woe is me...:sorry:

Luckily, I have a basement. It’s also a great refuge from the tornadoes that totally are a huge threat here.;)

My grandma, in her 1920’s vintage house, has a window AC unit for her bedroom for those brutal Michigan summers. It was 92F when I visited last summer!:eek:

New Threads