Brittle Starfish Tank Mates

notwiktoria

Hello everyone! I am completely new to saltwater tanks and I dabbled in the past in freshwater tanks. I know the basics about fish (cycle the tank a few weeks before adding fish, temperatures, filters, etc) I recently purchased a 29 gallon tank and would love to make it a saltwater tank. I would ideally like to have a brittle starfish in it. So does anyone have any suggestions for good tank mates for a brittle starfish? Also, any other saltwater aquarium tips would be appreciated. Thank you!

AquaPhilNJ

Feel like anything and everything will go fine with brittle starfish. Corals perhaps would be issue. I'm not 100%, but if anyone disagreed even then not so sure I'd be convinced; Fish just don't eat or bother them.

Saltwater community pushes for RO/DI water only inside tank, that's what I use; can't remember the reason anymore, even with FOWL. BRS video series is fun to watch many tips for saltwater tanks. For me biggest issue was using carbon, took me over 2 years to realize carbon was just hurting me and striping aquarium, causing dinos and bio-load imbalance. Don't use recommended amount (too much) in fact I don't use it at all anymore. And obviously you may have heard most ppl use skimmer for filtration.

Upvote 0

Jesterrace

Feel like anything and everything will go fine with brittle starfish. Corals perhaps would be issue. I'm not 100%, but if anyone disagreed even then not so sure I'd be convinced; Fish just don't eat or bother them.

Saltwater community pushes for RO/DI water only inside tank, that's what I use; can't remember the reason anymore, even with FOWL. BRS video series is fun to watch many tips for saltwater tanks. For me biggest issue was using carbon, took me over 2 years to realize carbon was just hurting me and striping aquarium, causing dinos and bio-load imbalance. Don't use recommended amount (too much) in fact I don't use it at all anymore. And obviously you may have heard most ppl use skimmer for filtration.

The reason why it's recommended to use RODI is because the salt crystals that you use for the mix are already highly mineralized and when you add these crystals to tapwater it combines with the random minerals/solids that are in there and creates the perfect storm for unwanted algae growth at best (ie Hair Algae, Cyanobacteria) and stuff that is deadly to inverts at worst. It also offers a cleaner/clearer display. 90% of the time you can tell when someone runs tapwater in a saltwater tank as it has a more murky/cloudy look to it.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
CaptainAquatics
Replies
Views
ChrissFishes01
Replies
Views
Mudminnow