Brittle Star Eating Cleaner Shrimp?

Discussion in 'Seastars' started by ksatterf, Dec 21, 2009.

1. k

ksatterf New Member Member

Hi, I have 3 Brittle stars that have been in my tank (180 gal) for about 3 months. Today I found one of them eating my Cleaner Shrimp. Earlier in the day I saw the shrimp and it seemed ok but I didn't do a close examination because I didn't suspect any problem. From what I could tell the shrimp was not completely dead so that is why I am wondering if the brittle start caught it some how. I also have or had(i will need to do a head count) 3 pepperment shrimp. I got them to take care of some Aptasia which they did and have never been much for coming out in the open. I have noticed the stars have moved in where the peperment shrimp used to stay and I have not seen them lately. I thought the brittle stars were detritus eaters. Is it possible they are picking off my shrimp?

2. agsansoo

agsansoo Well Known Member Member

I would suspect the cleaner was near death. They are too fast for a brittle star to catch. Yes they are generally consider scavengers and not known to be shrimp killers.

3. OP
    OP
    k

ksatterf New Member Member

I think you are correct. I managed to get a look at the cleaner before the brittle star pulled it into the rock and saw what looked like it may have een attacked. I'm wondering if my bully of a Domino Damsel could be a suspect.

4. agsansoo

agsansoo Well Known Member Member

Great observation ... Damsel are just down right mean ! Should only be kept in shark tanks. j/k LOL

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice