Bristlenose Yay Or Nay?

bettafanatic

Well Known
Reaction score
So undecided. Part of me wants a bristlenose pleco and part of me doesn't. My current setup is a 30 gallon with a lone betta. Opinions? I know I want something else but not sure what. Maybe shrimp instead? So undecided.

My current setup is silk plants, sponge filters and temp of 80. I know plecos poo a lot and I'm prepared to vacuum more often and doing more PwC.
20181120_190028.jpg

aae0130

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I bet in that tank you would probably never see the plecco.
I have one in my tank but I do not have any plants. Just a big red lava rock scape for cichlids. He hides a lot and My wife named him Waldo because she is always trying to spot him. I think they are interesting creatures.

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They are not really temperature compatible. They do best at lower temps than bettas like!!

OP
bettafanatic

bettafanatic

Well Known
Reaction score
Smalltownfishfriend said:
Pretty sure the recommended temp is 75 but I could be wrong on that!!
Oh ya I didn't even consider that. Good point so no pleco for me.

scarface said:
Throw in some wood and get a Clown Pleco, Panaqolus maccus.
I was reading on them last night but the wood is what made me change my mind. Not sure I really want to deal with tannins. I had a common pleco a while back but once he reached 18 in I rehomed him to someone with a 200g. Mine at the time was only 75g

Maybe I'll just do the rcs. I don't really want any schools of fish or anything like that.

aae0130

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Check out this......it gives a pretty wide temperature range for bristknose plecco s.

OP
bettafanatic

bettafanatic

Well Known
Reaction score
aae0130 said:
Check out this......it gives a pretty wide temperature range for bristknose plecco s.
That they do but I keep mine at 80 which is their top range which can lower their life span. The goal is to keep them somewhere in the middle of their range. At least that is my understanding but I could be wrong.

imba said:
KuhlI loaches could be nice, they stick to the bottom but need to be in schools.
I'll check them out. Thanks

New Threads