Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Bristlenose Yay Or Nay?

Discussion in 'Water Conditioners and Supplements' started by bettafanatic, Nov 21, 2018.

1. bettafanaticWell Known MemberMember

So undecided. Part of me wants a bristlenose pleco and part of me doesn't. My current setup is a 30g with a lone betta. Opinions? I know I want something else but not sure what. Maybe shrimp instead? So undecided.

My current setup is silk plants, sponge filters and temp of 80. I know plecos poo a lot and I'm prepared to vacuum more often and doing more PwC. 20181120_190028.jpg

2. aae0130Well Known MemberMember

I bet in that tank you would probably never see the plecco.
    I have one in my tank but I do not have any plants. Just a big red lava rock scape for cichlids. He hides a lot and My wife named him Waldo because she is always trying to spot him. I think they are interesting creatures.

3. SmalltownfishfriendWell Known MemberMember

They are not really temperature compatible. They do best at lower temps than bettas like!!

4. aae0130Well Known MemberMember

I have mine at 78 degrees. Is this not good?

5. SmalltownfishfriendWell Known MemberMember

Pretty sure the recommended temp is 75 but I could be wrong on that!!

6. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Throw in some wood and get a Clown Pleco, Panaqolus maccus.

7. bettafanaticWell Known MemberMember

Oh ya I didn't even consider that. Good point so no pleco for me.

I was reading on them last night but the wood is what made me change my mind. Not sure I really want to deal with tannins. I had a common pleco a while back but once he reached 18 in I rehomed him to someone with a 200g. Mine at the time was only 75g

Maybe I'll just do the rcs. I don't really want any schools of fish or anything like that.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2018
  8. aae0130Well Known MemberMember

Check out this......it gives a pretty wide temperature range for bristknose plecco s.

9. imbaWell Known MemberMember

Kuhli loaches could be nice, they stick to the bottom but need to be in schools.

10. bettafanaticWell Known MemberMember

That they do but I keep mine at 80 which is their top range which can lower their life span. The goal is to keep them somewhere in the middle of their range. At least that is my understanding but I could be wrong.

I'll check them out. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2018