Bristlenose Plecos Quick Question

1. fish time Well Known Member Member

Are bristlenose plecos aggresive at all to any other bottom dwellers and also are they good at eating alot of algea all over the tank because I have alot of it, at my petstore they don't sell otos ever so all they sell is chinease algea eater,bristlenose plecos,and rubberlip plecos

2. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Maybe this is partly an answer. BN's are great.

3. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

They aren't really that aggressive. If you can find out the cause of the algae that can go a long way in getting rid of it too. What kind of algae is it? How long do you have your lights on for and what kind of lights?

That is just way too cute!

4. DaleM Well Known Member Member

If you have an algae problem, a BN Pleco is unlikely to solve it on its own. You are better off looking at how long the lights are on, what ferts you use and how much and what is your water change schedule. Finding the cause is always much better long term than relying on fish to clean it all up. Snails and shrimp are probably better at attacking algae that BN Plecos

5. Nataku Well Known Member Member

I had a BN pleco with some dojos and they got on just fine. A few scuffles over who got the choice spot under the piece of driftwood which was just some shoving around and then they were all good. The BN got to attach himself upside down to the bottom of the driftwood and the dojos would just squeeze in under him if they wanted. Never saw any nipped fins or scales ripped off. I've heard tell of the rare ageessice BN but ive never seen one personally.