Bristlenose plecos and spiderwood

Leighgenevera

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello! I'm thinking about adding a BN Pleco to my 29 gallon. I have a large piece of spiderwood that I love but I'm having a difficult time finding out whether this would be suitable for a pleco or not. Also I read on one site that spiderwood is softer than other woods so would the pleco destroy it? It took me a long time to find a piece that I liked and would hate to see it get eaten away. What do yall think?

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi Leighgenevera
my understanding is wood is used as a small aid to digestion not actually a food source. My understanding is that BN fry get a bacteria from the wood that stays in their stomach for live. Perhaps a little like the bio active yoghurt that humans eat?
I have added a small amount of driftwood sawdust to BN fry gell food. As recommended in my local club. The wood offers a hiding spot and protection. The colour of a regular BN is camouflaged wood colour.

I think an adult BN is more interested in the algae that grows on wood than it is in eating wood.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For a BN it is perfect.
They are not woodeaters like Clowns and might munch from the toplayer (with algae).but won't destroy wood.

OP
L

Leighgenevera

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Flyfisha said:
Hi Leighgenevera
my understanding is wood is used as a small aid to digestion not actually a food source. My understanding is that BN fry get a bacteria from the wood that stays in their stomach for live. Perhaps a little like the bio active yoghurt that humans eat?
I have added a small amount of driftwood sawdust to BN fry gell food. As recommended in my local club. The wood offers a hiding spot and protection. The colour of a regular BN is camouflaged wood colour.

I think an adult BN is more interested in the algae that grows on wood than it is in eating wood.
Thank you so much for this detailed info!

OP
L

Leighgenevera

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
DoubleDutch said:
For a BN it is perfect.
They are not woodeaters like Clowns and might munch from the toplayer (with algae).but won't destroy wood.
Thank you so much! Very excited to get a BN now :)

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom